New To Home Brewing & Looking Forward to Learning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy Yarbrough

Big T-Roy
Reaction score
Hello. Total newbie here when it comes to home brewing. I've made a couple batches of apple wine, peach wine, and hard cider, but not completely familiar with how to brew beer. Looking for help and guidance.

Thanks in advance

yarddog2k

Welcome! You’ve come to the right place. I’ve been a stalker of these forums for years due to others’ wisdom and guidance, just recently becoming a member and supporter. A lot of great knowledge from many members here who can answer pretty much any question.

You’ll hear a lot of “read, read, read” between the forums and many have their preference on homebrew books (How to Brew by Palmer, The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Papazian and Mastering Homebrew by Mosher are typical fan favorites). Let alone the numerous ingredient, style and recipe books that exist.

Additionally if you can join or stop by a local club or brew with a friend or several to learn the overall process, it can be a big help in deciding how you want your system / equipment to work. Most start small and make upgrades over time (upgrades being the operative word, because it means so many different things to different people).

Good luck and I hope you’re ready to be addicted to beer, brewing, tinkering, researching, and just generally spending time making the whole hobby exactly what you want.

Welcome! Since you’ve been making some wine you’ve probably got the sanitation down. It is easiest to begin brewing beer with a kit many have “steeping “ grains which will introduce you to mashing. Some people stick with the kits and some move on to all grain BIAB which requires less equipment. Have fun, have patience and ask questions/research.

Welcome from Missouri. Some good advice above^^. Only thing different that I could add is: you can make this hobby as complex or simple, cheap or expensive as you want. Have fun. Cheers!

Back