New to forum w/ noobie problem Blackberry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddlefish

Reaction score
Started a winemaking class and have a batch of concord ready to rack . So I decided to do a batch of blackberry with some of the 7 gallons I have frozen . Crushed a little over a gallon and added it to around 3 gal of sugar water (dissolved #5 ) it's in the pyrex with an airlock . Did this Saturday night , and I'm getting no action at all . Attempting to do this with wild fermentation , I've also heard not a good idea to use water from a water softener , is this true ?

Your issue is that nobody uses Blackberry anymore. We've all switched to Apple.

(I do wonder how you expect to get wild fermentation with an AIRLOCK in place, though...)

I got fermentation with an airlock in place on my concord and in fact it is still working . I'd like to try an apple wine considering I have a few acres of apples and an empty 12 gal pyrex jug waiting to be utilized .

Your issue is that nobody uses Blackberry anymore. We've all switched to Apple.

(I do wonder how you expect to get wild fermentation with an AIRLOCK in place, though...)

Haha, took me a minute to get that... I was even about to post, "Actually I just made a blackberry wine..."

Maybe the OP hopes to get fermentation started with wild yeast on the berries themselves? Seems sketchy. I'd sulfite it ASAP before it spoils and pitch some wine yeast in 24 hours.

I'll head out and grab yeast as soon as the boy gets out of school, any particular?

Montrachet's the only variety I'm familiar with but it ferments dry with an extreme vengeance. May not be your cuppa.

I put a packet of Lalvan D47 in at 5:pm , the guy at the store said pour it in and I should see action before I head to bed tonight . Hope so , I'd hate to have wasted the berries for nothing .

I did pick up a cider yeast if I get a decent recipe I may put some of my apples to work ! Any ideas ?

Yeah, put the yeast in the apples. ;)

I mean, you'll want to juice them first. It's really hard to mess up apple cider, though.

Latest posts

Back