new to competitions - need help categorizing my brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firenemus

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm entering a few of my beers into a local competition for the first time. They'll be using the 2008 BJCP style guidelines this year (switching to the 2015 guidelines next year) and I'd appreciate some suggestions as to which categories my brews would fit into. I don't want to be disqualified. :confused:
My first brew is a RIS which was oaked for a few months. The oak aroma/flavor is present, but mild. So, should I enter it under category 13F. (Russian Imperial Stout) or 22C. (Wood-Aged Beer)?
The second beer is another RIS which I added a small amount hazelnut extract to, and a tincture made from roasted coconut, oak, and bourbon. It turned out awesome, but doesn't really fit anywhere. Would category 23. (Specialty Beer) be the right way to go here?
My final beer in question is an amber with sunflowers - not the seeds, the actual flowers. We have many wild sunflowers growing around our house, and their resinous flower sepals have a pleasant (IMO) piney/floral aroma. So I thought, "why not throw them in a beer!" Came out great! I'm thinking I could call this a specialty brew as well, but perhaps entering it under category 21A. (Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer) would be a better choice.

What would you do?

Thanks for your help!
:mug:

Enter the same beer in multiple categories. It's more expensive but there's no way to know how the judges will behave IMO.

Thanks for the suggestions stat. There's no fee to enter so that's not an issue. I'm just curious. Is it really that difficult to determine what the judges would accept?
Any judges want to weigh in here?

First, you won't get disqualified... the judges are going to judge the beer based off the category guidelines it was entered.. meaning if you enter a beer into a category that has wood character but this is not represented in the description you will lose points for this... and vice versa... If the RIS has wood characteristics I would 100% enter as a wood aged beer. The other RIS should be entered as a specialty Ale as it does not fit the description of a traditional RIS. The 3rd could go specialty or catergory 21. I would drink the beer while reading the descriptions and determine what would be best. Think as judge will drinking. Try to do this before to many homebrews... Good luck!

First, you won't get disqualified... the judges are going to judge the beer based off the category guidelines it was entered.. meaning if you enter a beer into a category that has wood character but this is not represented in the description you will lose points for this... and vice versa... If the RIS has wood characteristics I would 100% enter as a wood aged beer. The other RIS should be entered as a specialty Ale as it does not fit the description of a traditional RIS. The 3rd could go specialty or catergory 21. I would drink the beer while reading the descriptions and determine what would be best. Think as judge will drinking. Try to do this before to many homebrews... Good luck!

Make sense BB. Thanks for the reassurance :)

Back