New to cider questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de5m0mike

Reaction score
I've been brewing beer for a while but this is my fist cider. I kind of decided to do it on a whim because my wife likes it and a good friend was doing it. So anyway, he picked me up 4 gallons of fresh pressed juice from a local orchard yesterday. He put some Camden tabs in it for me when he picked it up. He said wait 24 hours before pitching the yeast. It's been sitting in my basement for about 24 hours, and now I need to figure out what to do. So, my main question is, do I need to add the yeast nutrient and yeast at the same time, or do I have to wait a while after adding the nutrient before adding the actual yeast? The directions on the bottle are vague. Just says 1 TSP per Gallon. Also, I have some honey from a local bee keeper that I was thinking of adding. Not much though. Maybe 16 fl oz. What is the best way/time to add it? I was thinking of using it to prime before bottling.

Oh, and about the yeast nutrient. What is the best process for using this? Do I just sprinkle it in, or do I need to dissolve it in something first?

I would say ... add half the recommended yeast nutrient dose (this is the product known as DAP) ... go outside to "visit the bog" with a cold one ... come back in, pitch the yeast. Then, 24 hours after the ferment has started, add the second half of the recommended dose.

I suggest visiting the great outdoors for a moment mostly because the proper state of mind is important in all this, you don't want to feel rushed or tense. (Otherwise, yes, you could add (half the) DAP and pitch pretty much right away.)

Back