New to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrpipp

Reaction score
So let me start off by saying I've been interested in homebrew for a long time. I recently became very interested in ciders, meads and cysers mainly because I developed celiac disease and can not have any gluten, and as far as I'm aware, all of these can be made gluten free!

So I have been reading for a long time now on the forum as well as I'm on my second cider book. However I lack in tasting knowledge, I have only had woodchuck and crispin ciders and one mead that was made with white wine from Scotland I believe. Thus far everything I have had has been sweet to extremely sweet, and I believe I will enjoy something drier...

I bit the bullet and started gathering equipment, I found a northern brewer within 30 min! I wanted to start out small so I got the necessary stuff for a few single gallon batches. Also I just acquired (for free) 3 five gallon carboys from my Father who used to do wine.

I started 3 single gallon batches. One with simply apple pure pressed cider, another which came in glass already, organic pressed cider and finally a roundy's brand juice. I brought all of specific gravities up to 1073 using pure cane sugar. The first two unfiltered ciders I used Nottingham ale yeast and the juice I used Montrachet wine yeast. Within 24 hours all were expelling CO2 through the airlocks at a constant 65 F.

Sorry for running on, I just thought I would introduce myself and ask some questions in the same thread.

1. Can I add liquid tannin during racking to a secondary or does that need to be in there from the get go?

2. Is there significant levels of tannin in any store bought juice/ciders?

3. How important is it to top off when racking to a secondary? CO2 is heavier than "air" so if there is any fermenting continuing there should be a blanket of CO2 covering the cider, right?

Thanks in advance!

Back