New to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nezhed

Reaction score
I've brewed 3 batches so far and each time I keep using less corn sugar to carbonate the beer my question is everytime I pop open a beer it over foams like I was shaking it or something anyone have any ideas why or tips to fix this with my next batch? Thank you for any feedback it is appreciated.

It could be a couple of things. You could be bottling your beer before fermentation is complete or you could be adding too much priming sugar for your volume.

Are you taking gravity readings before bottling?

How much sugar are you using and how much beer are you adding it to?

Depending on the style you should be using about 3/4 +- of a cup. If you have "gushers" it could be an infection. Take a look at this thread and the similar posts at the bottom.

it could also be a temp thing. if you keep it at warmer temps (some people like their beer at over 50 degrees), then it'll foam, as the co2 doesn't get into warm beer as well as it does cold beer

I'm making 5 gallon batches and I am taking gravity readings last batch ended up around 5.5% I use a lil above 1/2 cup of corn sugar (1st batch was 3/4) in a pint of water to carbonate it as for when I'm making the wort I don't use much sugar at all

Back