New to brewing (kind of)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kungfugripinc

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm relatively new to brewing ( on my 7th batch ) and I have a few questions. If you want to answer just one, or all of them it would help me out.

1) I was wondering if a 5 gallon legging system effects the taste of the beer, and how.

2) How does the aging process differ in bottles compared to kegs.

3) Does anyone know of any brand of "deep freezer" style (top loading) refrigerators that could fit a 5 gallon keg or 4?

4) I am interested in making a Scotch Ale. I believe they may be known as Wee Heavy Ales. Any tips?

1) I think kegging can affect the taste, over carbing on a keg system can leave a CO2 bit to the beer. Its also easier to get clear pours with a keg, the first few pints will suck out most of the sediment and yeast.

2) There's really not much difference in the aging, it takes 2-3 weeks to bottle carb a beer and 2-3 weeks to keg carb it. IMO with the kegging setup it is easier to prevent oxidation.

3) don't know any specific make/model but they are out there

4) I have a scottish heavy fermenting right now. Keep the hops to a minimum, use a clean fermenting ale yeast. I used a recipe from 'Brewing Classic Styles'

Back