New to brewing? 10 Key Points to Making Great Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlester

Reaction score
Making a great beer is really satisfying. However, the problem with brewing beer is that there are a lot of "off flavors" created throughout the brewing process. I have come up with my list of 10 key points to mitigate the off flavors, which I believe have helped my beers become better. You will obviously come up with your own, and I'm sure there will be critics of mine. However, the point to this hobby is to have fun and discover new ways to make your own beer better.

The following is my edited version after many comments that were good, bad and some very funny. We can all use a laugh even if it is at our own selves. However, I see it as an opportunity to make it better.

The following are only simple and quick suggestions from my brewing experience since the early 80's. I am fully aware that this is not a comprehensive list and each of my suggestions may lack some advanced details. If you want to dig deeper into what causes off flavors in beer, there are plenty of books, online reading and the BJCP Judge certification programs, which has a very nice list of off flavors and causes, which is available for free.

1. Contamination. This is one of the common causes of off flavors I found while tasting and judging beers. Some were either "bottle bombs" or put to the side with a score under 30. Make sure that you have sanitary tools, buckets fermenter etc. When you transfer beer to the secondary, keg, bottling bucket and/or bottle your beers, this is a point where contamination can take place. This is resolved by cleaning with a non-perfumed soap followed by a sanitizer. Adding sugar to bottles for carbonation is another point to watch for contamination. The way to mitigate the risk of contamination is to boil water for approximately 20 minutes (releases 02 that have weak molecular connections to H20, which will help avoid oxidation), then add sugar to the boiled water and mix into the bottling bucket.

2. Oxidation: When your beer has finished fermenting, it is important that your beer keep away from oxygen/air. Pouring a finished beer into a bucket for bottling will expose your beer to 02 and oxidize the beer, which is fine if your not entering a competition. If you're new to brewing, you may not taste any oxidation. However, I've tasted too many beers that suffer from oxidation, which is a cardboard like flavor that makes your beer dull tasting. You can resolve oxidation problems by moving the beer slowly and gently to the next vessel. A more advanced method is to use a bottle of CO2. If you can’t afford it, or don’t want to go this route, go to a wine store and pick up a canister of wine saver. It is a bottle of gas that you spray into a bottle of wine to save it. When bottling or kegging, you can add a small amount of CO2 or wine saver gas to your bucket/container and/or each bottle you fill. This will keep out Oxygen. The gas is heavier than air and will line the bottom of the Keg/bucket/bottle with gas. When you add the beer, it sits under the layer of gas keeping away the O2.

3. Yeast: Proper pitching the proper amount of yeast, aeration and nutrition are really important. Too often brewers on this sight complain of stalled yeast, which is sometimes caused from not properly pitching the yeast. One vile/smack pack is fine for a simple low ABV ale, if the yeast is viable and hasn't begun to deteriorate. Yeast deteriorates over time so it is important to have fresh healthy yeast. It is my opinion that some beers would benefit from the use of a starter with one to two yeast vials/packs. See Mr. Malty's Yeast Calculator for the correct amount of yeast. The result of under pitching the correct amount of yeast is a diacetyl off flavor, which is a bad tasting buttery or butterscotch flavor.

4. Aeration and nutrients. Aeration and nutrients help the yeast build a strong outer skin and propagate. Shaking the carboy gives you about 8 parts per million (PPM) of O2, which is fine, but the target is 12 PPM. I prefer using an air pump along with an aeration stone and air filter will give you the right amount of about 12 PPM. Bottled O2 gas can give you 12 PPM and more if needed (i.e. High ABV Barley wines). A stainless steel aeration stone kit at your brew shop can hook up to a cheap O2 bottle from the hardware store, and works great. You should also include nutrients to boost the yeasts ability to propogate.

5. Temperature control: This is important when making most beers with the exception of a Saison. The best way to know what temp works best for the yeast, go to the manufacturers website. When your yeast is too cold it hibernates. When it is too hot, it gives off horrible off flavors similar to nail polish remover. The yeast flavors are part of the profile of the beer. So if you don't treat them correctly, your resulting beer will taste bad.

6. Water: This makes up a large portion of your beer. It is my opinion that unless you have fresh spring water, well or other natural source, you should at least have a carbon water filter in the line. For the best water control, try using Reverse Osmosis water and throw in 3 grams (and up to 5 grams) of Gypsum per 5 gallons for a bright taste that gives a dryness and accentuates the hops. For beers that you want a soft, sweet and opposite of dry, try 3-5 grams of Calcium Chloride.

In addition, improper pH can can result in sharp tanins and off flavors that are produced from the grain husk if the water pH is too high and sparging above 170°F. To control the pH of the Mash water: The easy route is to purchase "5.2 pH stabilizer" from the brew store, which requires only a tablespoon of additive and your done. The other way to control pH is with a meter and some form of acid (I use 25% Phosphoric Acid). Don't let this over whelm you. Go the easy route with pH stabilizer, but don't skip this step.

7. Excessive amount of hops: It’s clear we all like IPA beers. However, did you know that too many hops will give your beer a “grassy” taste, and in my opinion require a longer period to mellow. Thereby, causing a "green" beer off flavor at first. But, an awesome beer after mellowing.

8. Drinking the Beer too soon: With the exception of some light beers. Many taste "off" when their young. Especially Lagers, big IPA's and high ABV beers. Most beers require two weeks to mellow unless it is a low ABV and low hopped beer. Lagers require a Lagering period of 30 +/- days in freezing temps. Some high ABV beers need 6 months to a year to mellow out. Every beer is different, so if you taste it while young and it tastes "off," give it some time.

9. Changing a recipe: If you have a recipe that is known to have won competitions, or other people swear by it. Don’t change it the first time around. I know the temptation is big because you want to call it your own. However, you need an original recipe to compare your changes to. First time brewed beers should be done exactly as the recipe states. Then from there, you can make a judgment regarding any changes, additions or removal of ingredients.

10. Designing Beers: Great beer recipes are rarely great the first time out. If you are going to make a recipe and you want it to be great, you can expect to brew it multiple times before honing in on your perfect recipe. Get to know your ingredients.

Cheers,

There's some wrong info there.

It's really not that hard to make good beer. Award-winning beer may be hard to make, but good beer? Not that hard.

Contamination is not the #1 cause of off-flavors. It's either improper fermentation temps, insufficient yeast pitching amounts or insufficient oxygenation of the wort after cooling.

The carbon dioxide liner thing in 2 is nonsense. Despite being more dense than oxygen, you cannot create a protective "cap" with carbon dioxide in a homebrewing vessel on a bottling timescale. The CO2 will quickly form a homogeneous mixture with the air.

Yikes. Number 6 on that list is extremely simplistic, isn't it? No mention of Ph when making water additions?

Sparging is incredibly important and it is where people lose a lot of their efficiency points. It's also where people can inadvertently extract tannin when using water that is not the right pH. That causes bad flavors, too.

I agree with the other poster. #2 is just wrong. I've made many a great beer by moving to the bottling bucket to bottle. I've got the judges 35 - 40+ sheets to prove it. Can it? Yes. Is it a common occurrence? No, not as long as you keep the racking tube away from the side of the bottling bucket and then shove the hose below the surface of the beer as soon as you can.

I think your aeration ratings are off too. You "can" get 8 PPM by shaking a carboy but from what I've read/heard you have to shake the ever living heck out of it. Using the venturi effect will get you around 8 and using O2 will get you up to 12'ish. Again, this is all that I've read/heard.

Your temperature ratings are also simplistic. The temperature you ferment at will make you beer taste different from one end to the other. Higher or lower isn't bad so long as you know what you're aiming for and what temp you need to get it there. Saying 65-68 is way over simplifying things. But I have to agree, look up your yeast online and find the temperature ratings and other data. Then go from there.

#6 and #7 are wrong...

I think it's nice you're trying to help new brewers. I gotta agree with the others though a number of your statements are misguided. You're certainly making folks unnecessarily paranoid about bottling. I still bottle the occasional beer mostly those that I'm going to age like a big Belgian and I don't get oxidation problems just from transferring to a bottling bucket.

Excessive amount of hops: It’s clear we all like IPA beers. However, did you know that too many hops will give your beer a “grassy” taste? It has been recently discussed that a large amount of hops are not needed for late additions. In fact, just 1 oz of each type per addition is all that is needed.

The only time I have had issues with grassy taste is dry hopping with older home grown hops. Not sure what you mean by 1 oz of each type per addition - what additions? There are many, many hopping schedules especially when talking about IPA's. Some may have a 60, 15, 10, 5, 0 schedule. Some might do a small bittering charge and that's it except a very large whirlpool addition. Or are you talking dry hop - in which case 1 oz is not enough for many tastes. I think the age/storage of the hops and contact time at higher temps is probably the biggest issue to pay attention to there.

Beers taste terrible when their green. Most beers require two to six weeks to mellow unless it is a low ABV and low hopped beer. Even then, the “green” un-mellowed flavors will partially come through.

If you control your temps and fermentation beers do not all taste terrible when they are green. In fact many taste best when very young - thinking wheats, IPA's, hoppy pales to name a few. Granted there are some styles that come into their own with age but a "terrible" tasting beer early is likely due to an issue with process.

Thanks for the input. You all have good points. Keep in mind it is supposed to be simple.

Cheers,

I think it's nice you're trying to help new brewers. I gotta agree with the others though a number of your statements are misguided. You're certainly making folks unnecessarily paranoid about bottling. I still bottle the occasional beer mostly those that I'm going to age like a big Belgian and I don't get oxidation problems just from transferring to a bottling bucket.

I think "misguided" is a bit harsh. Oxidation starts the second your beer hits open air and makes your beer taste like cardboard, whether in small amounts or a lot. Using gas to blanket the beer is a proven method used throughout the commercial and homebrewing community to keep away oxidation. However, with that said, you can use a bottling bucket without a gas blanket. But, you will have to be fine with the "off flavors." In addition, a good BJCP judge can detect even small amounts of oxidation.

Cheers,

I think "misguided" is a bit harsh. Oxidation starts the second your beer hits open air and makes your beer taste like cardboard, whether in small amounts or a lot. Using gas to blanket the beer is a proven method used throughout the commercial and homebrewing community to keep away oxidation. However, with that said, you can use a bottling bucket without a gas blanket. But, you will have to be fine with the "off flavors." In addition, a good BJCP judge can detect even small amounts of oxidation.

Cheers,

That's just not true. Oxidation can indeed happen, but it's a lot harder to oxidize beer to detectable levels than you make it out to be. You're going to make new brewers unnecessarily paranoid about oxidation. As long as they don't splash the beer around post-fermentation then they're not going to get oxidized beer.

I simply think that your "simple" advice is not helpful because you really make it sound like it's guaranteed a beer will taste bad if you don't watch everything you do.

- ISM NRP

Gotta agree. This is not simple advice and is likely to scare the heck out of a new brewer who does not understand RDWHAHB. I have to agree with others here. Temp control is #1, Yeast maybe #2 but oxidation is way down the list. You are right that oxidation begins immediately when beer is exposed to the air, but when that reaches a point where it is noticeable is the big issue. Most careful transfers will create only the slightest oxidation.

I didn't mean to say that your basic point about oxidation is off base. When using my conical I transfer in a closed system with CO2 because I can. If you've got CO2 by all means use it (although I would like to see the side by side studies using it with an open bottling bucket as you describe). My point was that your comments are directed to new brewers. Telling them the bottling bucket is a "beer killer" and that their beer will be dull and boring if they use it is what I have a problem with. Whatever light levels of oxidation in beers bottled this way, as a fairly experienced brewer/taster I can't perceive them and I haven't gotten comments in competitions. I would direct new brewers to a lot of other things before suggesting they need a CO2 source to bottle - as others said that's kind out of the realm of your own KISS principle.

Now, you did say "pouring" into a bucket. That I agree with, pouring not siphoning finished beer is likely a problem.
:mug:

That's just not true. Oxidation can indeed happen, but it's a lot harder to oxidize beer to detectable levels than you make it out to be. You're going to make new brewers unnecessarily paranoid about oxidation. As long as they don't splash the beer around post-fermentation then they're not going to get oxidized beer.

Oxidation does start the second that beer is exposed to air. Just like the day you're born you start dying.

I gotta agree with the OP. It takes a LOT to oxidize a beer. The key for any new brewer is make sure you have your equipment cleaned and sanitized. Proper fermentation temps based on the yeast and not a temp range. Finally, pitching the correct amount of yeast which is way down the line. When I first started my first 5 beers I only used the smack pack and all of them turned out fine.

Most people can make great beer just by being careful and patient.

My 10 key points to making great beer:

1) patience
2) patience
3) patience
4) patience
5) patience
6) cleanliness
7) sanitation
8) fresh ingredients
9) decent temp control
10) patience

+1 on this list. Its far simpler and far more accurate for new brewers who want to make great beer that far outshines most commercial brews.
Only change I would make is putting HAVE FUN and/or ENJOY THE PROCESS somewhere in there...otherwise, why do this at all?

For the 1st time brewer it seems like everything is #1 as far as importance. And many of them are important to making great beer. But to make beer you can enjoy is pretty simple. Everyone will think theirs is better than it is (have you ever had someone admit they were the parents of an ugly baby?), but if they don't enjoy the process it won't seem worth the effort.

When I saw the thread I figured I'd take a look. And realized to take it with a grain of salt purely based on the number of posts from the OP. Not to say brewing experience is accurately reflected by HBT posting, but I'm more likely to re-evaluate my process based on comments by those with 1000 posts.

tent_fumigation.jpg

That's my house when I am bottling. You can get fumigation tents and a CO2 tank at your LHBSS.

This sort of reminds me of that train wreck youtube series on brewing. I wish I could find it...

This sort of reminds me of that train wreck youtube series on brewing. I wish I could find it...

You're probably thinking of that TakeSomeAdvice nutjob. He was a trouble making member here a while back.

Here's the first of many videos that got big around here:

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda feel bad for the OP. This got ugly, and fast.

There are some matters to improve upon, clearly, but the OP's initial stab wasn't a bad effort. Just very much an initial draft and a bit...dramatic.

+1 on this list. Its far simpler and far more accurate for new brewers who want to make great beer that far outshines most commercial brews.
Only change I would make is putting HAVE FUN and/or ENJOY THE PROCESS somewhere in there...otherwise, why do this at all?

Reason why I didn't add them to the list is because homebrewing is a hobby, and if you aren't enjoying the process and having fun then it probably isn't for you. I feel that homebrewing is a lot like cooking in that no matter what recipe and advice you follow if you aren't enjoying yourself you won't make good beer/food.

dlester - it is nice of you to take the time to write out some tips to help out. Now, as for the rest of those posts - the pics are hilarious, and that video is one of the funniest things I have watched in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I didn't mean to say that your basic point about oxidation is off base. When using my conical I transfer in a closed system with CO2 because I can. If you've got CO2 by all means use it (although I would like to see the side by side studies using it with an open bottling bucket as you describe). My point was that your comments are directed to new brewers. Telling them the bottling bucket is a "beer killer" and that their beer will be dull and boring if they use it is what I have a problem with. Whatever light levels of oxidation in beers bottled this way, as a fairly experienced brewer/taster I can't perceive them and I haven't gotten comments in competitions. I would direct new brewers to a lot of other things before suggesting they need a CO2 source to bottle - as others said that's kind out of the realm of your own KISS principle.

Now, you did say "pouring" into a bucket. That I agree with, pouring not siphoning finished beer is likely a problem.
:mug:

Smart, I too use a closed system with my conical. After sterilizing it I put a "breather," which is just a bubbler with cotton and carbon as an air filter. I pull the wort through the heat exchanger and straight to the conical.

Your right about the "beer killer." It was a bit over the top. So I edited and cleaned it up.

I simply think that your "simple" advice is not helpful because you really make it sound like it's guaranteed a beer will taste bad if you don't watch everything you do.
- ISM NRP

Well, you figured out the simple part of the theory. Once you've made a great beer as opposed to a good beer, you can look back and realize that every step matters.

Cheers,

You're probably thinking of that TakeSomeAdvice nutjob. He was a trouble making member here a while back.

Here's the first of many videos that got big around here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WQhwSxEFbE

I think that the next time I have a friend over to watch a brew session for the first time, I'm going to wear the gloves, mask and safety goggles, just to freak him out - during the mash, no less.

Oh, and I'll make him put on the same equipment. Should be a laugh!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I think that the next time I have a friend over to watch a brew session for the first time, I'm going to wear the gloves, mask and safety goggles, just to freak him out - during the mash, no less.

Oh, and I'll make him put on the same equipment. Should be a laugh!

Don't take any unnecessary risks like that. Break out the Hazmat suits. Oh, and don't forget to lotion up first! :drunk:

That guy's channel is full of crazy videos. He's also gone by the handle AngryCanuck and a few others. His brewing videos are hilarious, beer reviews are worse, but he has a few where he denies the Holocaust happened. I suppose it's all worth checking out if you want a good laugh or two (Holocaust videos being the scary exception). The guy is either a very good actor or a very unusual combination of stupid and crazy.

The carbon dioxide liner thing in 2 is nonsense. Despite being more dense than oxygen, you cannot create a protective "cap" with carbon dioxide in a homebrewing vessel on a bottling timescale. The CO2 will quickly form a homogeneous mixture with the air.

Saying this is "nonsense" is naive. Heavy and light gases are based on their molecular weight. You can compare gases on the "Periodic Table" found anywhere online or books. In addition, using gas to cap beer is a common practice in both commercial and homebrewing. However, if you have something that can prove me wrong (e.g., study of O2 vs. CO2 and how they separate or combine), I would be very interested in your argument.

Cheers,

Saying this is "nonsense" is naive. Heavy and light gases are based on their molecular weight. You can compare gases on the "Periodic Table" found anywhere online or books. In addition, using gas to cap beer is a common practice in both commercial and homebrewing. However, if you have something that can prove me wrong (e.g., study of O2 vs. CO2 and how they separate or combine), I would be very interested in your argument.

Cheers,

Dude, quit picking the scab. Just let it die...

But since you brought it up, I'd love to see a study of homebrew comparisons done with those bottled/kegged under a layer of CO2 and those without. I doubt you're getting much benefit from it. Also, the CO2 will only stay in a layer on top of the beer assuming the environment is perfectly still. Even a small movement in the air could disrupt this layer. If you disagree, show me the study.

See what I did there? Using your own tactic, I turned the tables on you, making your argument invalid. BURN! Your move maestro, your move. :drunk:

Dude, quit picking the scab. Just let it die...

But since you brought it up, I'd love to see a study of homebrew comparisons done with those bottled/kegged under a layer of CO2 and those without. I doubt you're getting much benefit from it. Also, the CO2 will only stay in a layer on top of the beer assuming the environment is perfectly still. Even a small movement in the air could disrupt this layer. If you disagree, show me the study.

See what I did there? Using your own tactic, I turned the tables on you, making your argument invalid. BURN! Your move maestro, your move. :drunk:

Laughing, your right about a still environment. However, CO2 has an element weight of 44 because of the heavy carbon atom, while Oxygen has an element weight of 14 making Oxygen much lighter. That's why it is used to cap beer by commercial breweries.

Regarding letting it die, you apparently want to give up too easily. I think there is some good and some not so good advice given. The best part is that I can go back to edit and clean it up.

Cheers,

After consideration of some of the advice given, I have gone back and edited the original posting. Hopefully for the better. Except for the outright mean comments and those that would suggest that I give up, I would like to thank everyone else for the comedy and your helpful suggestions.

Cheers,

After consideration of some of the advice given, I have gone back and edited the original posting. Hopefully for the better. Except for the outright mean comments and those that would suggest that I give up (The Zymurgist), I would like to thank everyone else for the comedy and your helpful suggestions.

Cheers,

Not sure why you singled me out when there were plenty of others taking issue with the "information" you were spreading, but I'll bite. I commend you for going back and revising your post. That shows you were actually listening to the responses, regardless of how they were communicated. Too few people are able to do that these days. I never suggested you give up, I just didn't understand why you were resurrecting a post that people were taking issues with.

That said, I do take issue with some of the information still in the post. I won't go into them, for the sake of civil discourse, and since many of these topics have been addressed countless times on this, and many other platforms. I understand you're trying to be short and provide general information to new brewers, but be careful when generality causes the quality of information to suffer. As a tax accountant, I would never say something like "The IRS provides a tax credit against earned income!" This is a very limited credit specific to certain situations, and more information is obviously required.

Well said Zymurgist. I know the post is simple. I'm not writing a book. These are the items I found to be most important to my brewing experience. I know there are many other things that cause off flavors, but don't want to overwhelm the reader. Regarding singling you out: Your past attacks were not helpful. I don't mind criticism, I've been through tough environments, and it helps build a better post. However, calling a post a "train wreck" or referring to as a sore with a scab and saying I should quit is uncalled for. However, I can see your more reasonable than I previously thought. And for that, thank you. Getting kickback from a post is nothing compared to getting beat up and fighting back at the Sr. Corporate level of a nationwide Bank. Either way, now that we've chatted, and I got to say my peace, I'll let it go and edit my comment.

Cheers,

New to brewing and to me I appreciate the help and the insights. I would like to get to the point where I can "taste" the small mistakes I made. But right now I'm enjoying the process and trying to get it correctly more often than not. So thanks..

Back