New to Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SticksBrewer

Reaction score
I finally took some action after all the research and brewed my first batch of beer on the 4th July. Took me about 6 hours as I second and triple guessed everything I did.

Thanks to everyone for all the great information available on the board here. Helped me a ton on brew day. Now I can't wait to leave work today and get home to check the air lock on my primary to see how my new baby is doing...

welcome!

i think i talk for everyone here when i say... we are all airlock sniffers :)

As you'll learn quickly by reading this forum, don't freak out if you don't see bubbling for a few days, or if you never see bubbling at all. However, when it most likely does start bubbling, no harm in sitting and marveling for a few hours (and the occasional sniff ;))

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Well, I just got home from work and she is burping away! (I just realized that I am applying a gender to my batch!) Not sure when it actually started, but it has been 24 hours since I pitched the yeast. I just used the basic muntons dry yeast packet that came with the ingredient kit (Autumn Amber Ale) and sprinkled it on top. Seems to have worked so far...

Cheers, SticksBrewer! I was right there with ya on the 4th. Funny, my first batch took 6 hours, too. It sounds like your batch was a little more successful than mine. Lesson of the day: Don't forget to check your spigot before you siphon!

So far it seems it has gone well. I pitched dry yeast at 68F. At 24hrs, I had lots of bubbling so I was excited. But that led to higher temps by the next morning.. around 72/73F. Not too worried, that is on the higher end from what I read, but for my first brew, I will take it and pitch at a lower temp and keep the pail on the concrete floor rather than on a low shelf. Then by the next evening, only 24 hrs later, the bubbling was all but stopped. It seemed to be a fast and furious fermentation.

My big mistake was not taking SG reading. I was all ready to it and then got excited and grabbed the yeast and threw it on.. DOH! Forgot all about it until I had it in the basement with cover on. Not a big deal, I will just estimate using the included numbers from the kit.

Even though visible signs of fermentation are mostly done, I let it sit a couple days before taking any gravity readings. I am trying to be patient... But today I am going to start taking gravity readings. Heck, I might even brew up another batch today! I picked up a Sierra Nevada clone kit from Midwest on Wednesday.

Latest posts

Back