New To Brew in Sun Diego

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fornstar

Reaction score
Hello all! I am so happy I stumbled across the forum. There is a ton of info here:rockin: I have always wanted to learn to brew my own beer, so here we go:mug: I will be getting this kit for Christmas
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=6875

This appears to be a good starter kit. I went with the Better Bottles over the glass. I read the pros and cons and some threads about the two. I decided on BB due to the fact that they are cheaper and I can get some other things that I will need to start brewing immediately:D

I will be brewing in an apartment. I dont think space will be a big issue for me. Its a 2 bed 2 bath 1000sq ft. I have a balcony to boil on. there is also a closet on the balcony for storage and fermenting. The only thing that concerns me right now is temp control. If need be I can store in an inside closet.

I am really excited to get started. I am trying to read everything I find online about brewing. I had no clue that so much went into this. I aint scared, I need a hobby.

:mug:
Matt

Welcome :mug:
As for temp control, just try to kee the temp in the low-mid 60s, I'm assuming you are doing ales.
Try not to let the temp fluctuate too much.
If it's too warm, you can try setting the fermenter in a container of water and wrap the fermenter in an old t-shirt that is touching the water, the evaporation should help to cool it.

Right now inside a closet in your apartment will be fine. It's been cold lately!

When summertime comes you might want to think about rigging something to control the temp a little better.

Welcome! What part of 'dago are you in?

I'm assuming you are doing ales.

For now just ales, and I may do a cider for the SWMBO.

Welcome! What part of 'dago are you in?

North County. Carlsbad/Vista area. I am thinking of going to Stone this weekend. Havent been yet and always wanted too. We just moved up here from down south.

Matt

Been to stone a couple times. Not only do they have a great selection of their own beers, but other San Diego brews as well. Welcome to the addiction!

Yeah, looking forward to checking out Stone. Just got back from Pizza Port. Great pizza and great beer. SWMBO did a 8 beer taster.

Matt

Stone is great! SWMBO took me there for our anniversary, total surprise!

To me, the food was ok. Kinda pricy, but that's not really why were there, right?

Make sure you get there in time to do a tour of the brewery. We were too late so I need to go back.

Make sure you do tour the brewery. Its an awesome sight. Those brewers can do everything from the nice air conditioned control room. :) Plus they give you free tastings for going on the tour. I liked the Stone Bistro food (and especially the beer)

I love Stone, but if I want beer and food, Pizza Port is still my favorite brew operation. I can't wait until the one in OB opens up so there's one closer to home.

Welcome to the board and not so sunny San Diego. If you need any hints on anything local, feel free to ask. And yeah, the weather right now is great for fermenting, but you'll want to work on something for when it gets hotter. You have time, but fermentation temperature is probably the number one reason for any off flavors in beer when you're starting out, so watch it.

Pizzaport is da bomb!
All pizzzport's have different beers house beers...
San Clemente has some darker beers
Cbad has the Chronic
Solona Beach has the cal honey...
I've been to all of them, and by far Cbad is the best one with the Cbad Chronic....
FYI there prices are goin up for brews at the begining of the year :mad:

I live in Vista also..:mug:

I am working on my first batch this weekend..

pm me and come by for a beer, 2 5g ballast point kegs on tap right now...:rockin:

Matt

I love Stone, but if I want beer and food, Pizza Port is still my favorite brew operation. I can't wait until the one in OB opens up so there's one closer to home.

Welcome to the board and not so sunny San Diego. If you need any hints on anything local, feel free to ask. And yeah, the weather right now is great for fermenting, but you'll want to work on something for when it gets hotter. You have time, but fermentation temperature is probably the number one reason for any off flavors in beer when you're starting out, so watch it.

There is a Pizza Port opening in OB?!?!?!?! That sounds like bad news since I am walking distance from most everywhere in OB. Where are they opening one?

Pizzaport is da bomb!
All pizzzport's have different beers house beers...
San Clemente has some darker beers
Cbad has the Chronic
Solona Beach has the cal honey...
I've been to all of them, and by far Cbad is the best one with the Cbad Chronic....
FYI there prices are goin up for brews at the begining of the year :mad:

I live in Vista also..:mug:

I am working on my first batch this weekend..

pm me and come by for a beer, 2 5g ballast point kegs on tap right now...:rockin:

Matt

Careful, I may take you up on that offer. Ballast Point is good beer. We will have to get together and talk shop over a few beers sometime.

Matt

Ballast Point is GREAT beer. The whole beer movement in SD is amazing!!!

I am moving to SD soon. I was offered a job at Stone but did not take it because it was only part time and I need fulltime plus benefits.

I am coming back out in the next couple of weeks for a few more interviews. One is with Karl Strauss. I hope it works out :) I love it out there!!!

Back