New to BIAB help me scale a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yourfriendmikem

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing for the second time tomorrow. I found a recipe online that Ive been trying to scale to 3 gallons, but the scaled amounts seem to come out wonky. This is especially true of the dry hop additions. The recipe is at the link below:

http://www.alesoftheriverwards.com/2015/08/tired-hands-hophands-clone-revisted.html

I don't have access to the grain they used so I plan on using Maris otter and 2 row in equal parts as a substitution.

I plugged all of the ingredients into beer smith as if I was doing a 5.5 gallon batch like the author and then scaled it to their generic 2.91 gallon BIAB. It was recommending 1.83 oz of each hop during dry hopping which doesn't seem right to me because the larger recipe called for 2 oz of each. Shouldn't a 3 gallon brew use significantly less?

Because I'm hoping to stop at LHBS tomorrow and brew tomorrow night I'm hoping someone can help scale the recipe. I'm also hoping to better understand how to properly scale recipes that I find on sources other than apps that scale automatically.

Thanks!

I got you fam. I round the numbers very very slightly

Grains:

5lbs Pale Ale malt
1lb Flaked Oats

Hops:

.3oz Columbus first wort
.3oz each Centennial/Amarillo/Simcoe @ 5 mins
.45oz each Cent/Ama/Sim @ whirpool 20 mins
1.05oz each Cent/Ama/Sim dry hop 5 days

I'm not sure how you got 1.8oz for each dry hop. I just clicked "scale recipe" then chose the 5-gallon mini-BIAB pot

If you're ever in a pinch, you can get a decent estimate by multiplying by the fraction of the batch sizes. In this case multiply each amount by .545 which is from (3 gallon/5.5 gallon)

Thank you! I'm not really sure why I got those weird numbers, probably just messing with it too much.

Back