New to BIAB. Could use your help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage Iron

Reaction score
St. Croix River Valley in Western Wisconsin
I brewed my first BIAB today (5 gal/Cream Ale) and had a quick question.

It looks like there are solids in the fermenter. None of the extract kits I've done have done this before. Is there something wrong with the wort, or will it be good?

Here's a pic....

IMG_6823.jpg

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Looks like cold break. It’ll settle. All good. Proteins from the grain. Take with a grain of salt. I’ve only been brewing for about a year. Hope it helps

What johnnydogs said. I always get wort that looks like that until it settles. Then when the yeast does its thing, it's all mixed up. Then it will settle again, and pack down.

I've brewed 13 batches so far with my BIAB setup, never made an effort to keep the cold break out of the fermenter so far, it all settles within a day and provides essential nutrients the the yeast throughout fermentation. If you're after clear beer look into gelatin or isinglass. IMHO, your beer will turn out awesome as is, so just hang in there till it's time to bottle.

I brewed my first BIAB today (5 gal/Cream Ale) and had a quick question.

It looks like there are solids in the fermenter. None of the extract kits I've done have done this before. Is there something wrong with the wort, or will it be good?

Here's a pic....

View attachment 564100

Any help is appreciated!

Brewing via all grain typically results in more protein coagulation in the boil kettle. Some of this is hot break (forms during heating). Some is cold break (for during chilling). Both are desirable if clear beer is the goal.

Hot Break prior to boiling of wort
attachment.php

Break material in fermentor following cooling and during transfer
attachment.php
attachment.php

Break material and yeast following completion of fermentation at racking to the keg.
attachment.php

It stays in the fermentor leaving clear beer
attachment.php

Beer
3-jpg.344893
attachment.php

Brewing via all grain typically results in more protein coagulation in the boil kettle. Some of this is hot break (forms during heating). Some is cold break (for during chilling). Both are desirable if clear beer is the goal.

Hot Break prior to boiling of wort
attachment.php

Break material in fermentor following cooling and during transfer
attachment.php
attachment.php

Break material and yeast following completion of fermentation at racking to the keg.
attachment.php

It stays in the fermentor leaving clear beer
attachment.php

Beer
3-jpg.344893
attachment.php
Wow nice photos!

Wow, thanks for all of the fast replies!

Gavin-
What you mention about more proteins makes sense because I had to watch this thing for quite a bit longer during the beginning of the boil. It went through a very foamy hot-break for about 8 mins before finally settling down. Oh, and I agree, GREAT photos!

I checked on it this morning, and although it doesn't have the yeast activity I would have liked to see, a lot of the protein solids have settled into the lower 4" of the fermenter. I'm guessing they will continue to pack down with time.

Thanks again!

Gavin has great pics for sure!

You questioned the yeast's ability to pack down with time. Yes it does! Some yeast strains settle down tightly and form a compact layer with break materials and trub, while other yeast strains stay more puffy and fluffy. This may cause you to lose a small amount of beer, but typically, no biggie.

Some folks (like me) get fussy and don't want unnecessary break materials to find their way into the fermenter. Some say no biggie it will settle out later, others are more inclined to want clearer wort from the beginning. I'll take a 5G paint strainer bag from Lowes and use that bag to filter the wort as it transfers from the kettle into the fermenter. Remove the bag, rinse it off and reuse not forgetting to sanitize before use.

Back