New to beeeer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomadic_Joel

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have been brewing meads and wine for the past year and have decided to venture into beer.

I have noticed some really amazing clone kits on Austin HB that are all grain and look fun.

My question..

Before I order this 50.00 "La fin du monde" clone and jump right into fresh all grain brewing....should I start with something easier? Perhaps a 25 dollar half extract kit?

Because im familiar with the basics (fermentation, bottling, sanitizing) from wine....do you think I need baby steps for beer? or just jump right in?

Thoughts?

THANKS!

There are a few more steps to get to fermentation for beer especially all grain beer, If you have studied and have all the stuff, go for it. Personally I vote for half extract first.

Interesting. Ok so for instance, I see this kit below....and it seems available in

Extract
mini mash
all grain

So I am assuming I can go with the extract and get a "reasonable" clone of my beer? Of course choosing the min mash/ all grain would be the "best" one?

THANKS!

La Fin du Monde (Unibroue) [03646]
$42.49
View below for options

Unibroue. Chambly, Quebec, Canada.

Extract kit includes: priming sugar, milled specialty grains in a muslin bag, hops, and detailed instructions. Mini-Mash kits do not come with grain bags. We recommend a Reusable Nylon Grain Bag. Mini-mash involves additional time for steeping. All grain brewing requires additional equipment and different brewing techniques.

Fermentable Sugars:
Extract: 9.25 lbs. Liquid Malt Extract, 2 lbs. Specialty Grains.
Mini Mash: 8.25 lbs. Liquid Malt Extract, 2.75 lbs. Base Grains, 2 lbs. Specialty Grains.
All Grain: 13 lbs. Base Grains, 2 lbs. Specialty Grains.

Makes 5 US gallons.

If you don't want to go extract, you might be a little better off trying the mini mash for your first. It is pretty much like AG but you have a safety net with the extract should your technique need a little improvement.

OTOH, lots of folks start with AG. I think I would buy a little cheaper kit for the first AG. I've made some of Austin's cheaper kits and they are good so you will not be sacrificing quality in any way with the $25 kits.

I would look at some other kits. You will find your first mini mash is busier then you think.

Hi Joel.. I agree with the others, if you havent made a brew yet, even though I am sure you have read loads.. it would be worth giving a hg kit a go first.. that way you know what your in for, get the process down and can move on to bigger and better things as you progress.

I dont think Ive received a 'bad beer' (extract, MM or AG) from AHS.

I love the simplicity of their kits, and they are usually spot on with their recipes.
In fact I have 3 more on the way - I CANT WAIT!!!!!
-Me

I would vote for extract too. It's not that you'll mess up all grain, it is just nice to dial in certain procedures "the easy way". With all grain, there are a lot more variables to juggle, and it takes longer. With extract you don't really have to worry about water quality, mash temps, efficiency, ph, etc, and if you don't do a full boil, cooling is easier. Those are the reasons I would vote for extract.

Hi Joel - I've spent over $1K at AHS and if I were you (which I was once) I would go with an Extract - then advance to Mini mash after a batch or two.

Reason is once you get that first brew under your belt you will become obsessed and your knowledge base will explode. You can make pretty outstanding brews with extracts and it's good just to get the process down. Sort of like muscle memory.

You will find that most brewers feel it is not the process that makes very very good beer - it's the brewer. There are many many tiny things that go into a good brew and you can read everything but actually doing it is how you will learn.

for me I wanted to know EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW!! I read and read and gained knowledge but I look back even 15 to 20 batches ago and think how I could have done this or that or tweaked and so forth.

Brewing is pretty easy but like poker - you can play good or you can play GREAT.

Start slowish and you won't regret it.

With extract you don't really have to worry about water quality, mash temps, ph, etc

+1

Wow guys, I am surprised at the great informative responses!

**This may be a good idea for a sticky...."Starting small, moving from Extract to AG" or something like that.

OK, I think I will go ahead and try my "la fin du monde" Extract brew from AHS.

Back