New to all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcampbell1989

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to home brewing. I have done a few liquid extract kits and partial grain cooks, but I am really wanting to start all grain brewing and most likely 1 gallon batches because I want to do it more often. I have a few questions if anyone could help me out. I bought a turkey fryer for cooking with a 30 quart aluminum pot. Just wondering if it's worth adding a thermometer and valve to make it a "kettle" also I am going to make a mash tun but I don't know if a 5 gallon would be to big for 1 gallon batches. And finally if anyone has any good recipes!! Thanks!!

Hi and welcome. For a one gallon all grain batch I would look at brew-in-a-bag or BIAB as the acronym goes. For your brew pot, you can add a thermometer and valve, but its not necessary, completely your choice. A five-gallon mash tun would be way too big for a one gallon batch, too much head space to lose heat, which is another reason to go with BIAB. There is a one-gallon brewers thread here, I'll see if I can find it and link for you.

If your heart is set on 1 gal batches, then rock on, go you. However, when I started brewing I went into my LHBS and asked the big bearded guy the same questions, he made a good point… You're basically doing the same amount of work for a 1 gal batch as a 5 gal, minus cleaning out spent grains and buying the kettle and mash tun. And what do you get for that little bit? 4 extra gallons of beer!!

Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to home brewing. I have done a few liquid extract kits and partial grain cooks, but I am really wanting to start all grain brewing and most likely 1 gallon batches because I want to do it more often. I have a few questions if anyone could help me out. I bought a turkey fryer for cooking with a 30 quart aluminum pot. Just wondering if it's worth adding a thermometer and valve to make it a "kettle" also I am going to make a mash tun but I don't know if a 5 gallon would be to big for 1 gallon batches. And finally if anyone has any good recipes!! Thanks!!

I haven't added a thermometer to mine but I added a ball valve with kettle screen. I've done 1 and 2.5 gallon batches in it ok. Figure grain absorption and boil off you'll have at least 2.5gallons to start with. Keep that in mind if you add the thermometer and keep it low.

As for recipes search the forums here. Any recipe can be scaled by dividing the pounds of ingredients by the batch size and that would be your one gallon batch recipe.

Back