New to all grain BIAB.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven1469

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm a long time reader, but don't post too often.

First off, thanks to everyone on these boards that help answer so many questions time and time again.

I have been brewing for about a year so I have most of the equipment I need, just getting into all grain now. My question is, I have just started into all grain BIAB. Of course now that I did my first one, I realize real quick that I need some extra equipment. I got a larger kettle so that's taken care of. Of these three things, which do you think should be my next purchase (I gotta watch the wallet so I can only do one at a time but will be purchasing all of them down the line.)?

1 - Stir plate (I would rather purchase one than build one, StirStarters would be the one I purchase)
2 - Grain Mill
3 - Scale

Thanks again for all the help!

scale you can get for $20 at walmart. I'll go with the grain mill. you need a finer mill on biab. Stirstarters is where i got mine and love it. I'll go with the mill first

Thanks! Has anyone heard any more feed back about the Millars Mill? I've read on here some mixed reviews.

Anyone else?

i would be sure i had the ability to control fermentation temps before i invested in any of those three things ... after that i'd get a mill, then the stir plate then the scale imo

If you plan on staying with BIAB for a while, a Corona style mill works very well. With the $20 scale you might find enough left in your wallet for about $30 for a grain mill on Amazon or Walmart. I bought mine on Ebay but the mills are similar and work the same way. I adjusted mine for as fine as I could and get 80% or better efficiency.

Grain mill & scale for sure. The "ugly junk" corona mill bucket-in-bucket design is a great way to get yourself a cheap setup. I make starters with no stir plate all the time and my yeast ferments just fine.

Grain mill & scale for sure. The "ugly junk" corona mill bucket-in-bucket design is a great way to get yourself a cheap setup. I make starters with no stir plate all the time and my yeast ferments just fine.

Cool. I do plan on staying with BIAB for a bit. I don't have the room for a big setup. So Corona Mill should work fine?

Cool. I do plan on staying with BIAB for a bit. I don't have the room for a big setup. So Corona Mill should work fine?

I got a monster mill but if the Corona Mill can grind the grains fairly good. Not flour but kinda close. Then go for it. I believe there is a thread on Corona on here so search for it and read that

1) Scale - You need to know whats going into your bag so you can replicate and tweak based on results

2) Mill - You can double crush from LHBS if they are fine enough. I skipped the corona and went with a cheaper roller mill. $100 shipped and I hook up my 18v drill to power through it. A finer crush will give you better efficiency, but you may have more trub in the bottom of your fermenter. A fine voile bag will reduce that greatly.

3) Stirplate. I still don't have one, but I suppose I could use less DME for starters that way. I usually peel off 2-4 brews of the same yeast in a row, so it wouldn't save much.

WRONG! You do not need a finer crush for BIAB!

No need to be negative. Many people believe this is the case because it has been stated all over the place. It is important to have a good crush, but the idea of a very fine crush is not necessary or even detrimental to BIAB if you're crushing too fine.

My advice is that you make your way over to BIABrewer.com, scan around and say hi. They have a great deal of information on BIAB because that is the main focus. They provide very helpful and accurate information on BIAB using data from the scientific method. I BIAB and have have learned so much there. (Not to say I haven't learned a lot here too).

Their BIABacus is a must see and use for those who BIAB. Once you start using it, your BeerSmith will start collecting dust.

No need to be negative. Many people believe this is the case because it has been stated all over the place. It is important to have a good crush, but the idea of a very fine crush is not necessary or even detrimental to BIAB if you're crushing too fine.

My advice is that you make your way over to BIABrewer.com, scan around and say hi. They have a great deal of information on BIAB because that is the main focus. They provide very helpful and accurate information on BIAB using data from the scientific method. I BIAB and have have learned so much there. (Not to say I haven't learned a lot here too).

Their BIABacus is a must see and use for those who BIAB. Once you start using it, your BeerSmith will start collecting dust.

Not being negative, I am clarifying the finer crush myth!

I've never used an expensive mill, except at the lhbs of course

But my corona knock-off work great. The ebay seller I got mine from still sells them. I rarely get stuck sparges and I hit 80% efficiency every time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XXL-Grain-C...rb-/400229281644?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:1123

Looks like they raised their price though. It was 19.95 when I ordered mine over a year ago

Do you think that one is the same as this one from Amazon? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000U5NZ4I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think that one is the same as this one from Amazon?

No, that wasn't it. Just going by the pictures, I think its this one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T3ML4G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If you look down at the new & used offers it runs pretty cheap. These mills get terrible reviews, but thats because people buy these mills expecting to be able to make flour. My advice is that if you do decide to go cheap, read all the reviews an try to only take into account the homebrewers who pick em up

Thanks Cider123 for the info. I'm looking to start BIAB soon.

1) Scale - You need to know whats going into your bag so you can replicate and tweak based on results

Just to share: I found a super cheap scale that has great reviews on Amazon. I ordered one yesterday.
Ozeri Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale

WRONG! You do not need a finer crush for BIAB!

There is not right way or no wrong way to brewing. Everyone has their own way of doing it and thats the way i do it. I does not hurt to crush your grains a little finer for BIAB and the OP can take the advice or leave it. Also please elaborate on how this is wrong? like and disadvantages of crushing the grain finer. I'm dying to see what it is and if there is no down side to it then just keep it to your self.

I got my corona mill a month ago from Discount Tommy and with some minor modifications (had to file down some bumps to get the plate mounted straight, and add the usual washers) I get a great crush. I made myself an ugly bucket setup as well and it works very nicely for BIAB - I've been getting 80%+ efficiency.

$24.95 with free shipping: http://www.discounttommy.com/p-189-...er-for-wheat-grains-or-use-as-a-nut-mill.aspx

I got my corona mill a month ago from Discount Tommy and with some minor modifications (had to file down some bumps to get the plate mounted straight, and add the usual washers) I get a great crush. I made myself an ugly bucket setup as well and it works very nicely for BIAB - I've been getting 80%+ efficiency.

$24.95 with free shipping: http://www.discounttommy.com/p-189-...er-for-wheat-grains-or-use-as-a-nut-mill.aspx

Nice! Thanks for the link. Better price than Amazon! What washers need to be replaced? I have skimmed through the Ugly Junk thread but didn't read ALL the pages. =)

There is not right way or no wrong way to brewing. Everyone has their own way of doing it and thats the way i do it. I does not hurt to crush your grains a little finer for BIAB and the OP can take the advice or leave it. Also please elaborate on how this is wrong? like and disadvantages of crushing the grain finer. I'm dying to see what it is and if there is no down side to it then just keep it to your self.

Holy Crap you people either don't read or cant!(There is not right way, LOL) The guy said you NEED a finer crush, I stated that you don't! You cant do a fine crush with a screen or a manifold (stuck sparge) but you can get away with it for BIAB. Disadvantage to pulverizing your grain, A crap load of trub, huge hot break, if you have a fine mesh it clogs with the mud from all that flour, pain to wash your yeast, and husk dust in your boil! My mill is set at .035, any finer than that I personally have found no advantage! Clear enough for you!

Holy Crap you people either don't read or cant!(There is not right way, LOL) The guy said you NEED a finer crush, I stated that you don't! You cant do a fine crush with a screen or a manifold (stuck sparge) but you can get away with it for BIAB. Disadvantage to pulverizing your grain, A crap load of trub, huge hot break, if you have a fine mesh it clogs with the mud from all that flour, pain to wash your yeast, and husk dust in your boil! My mill is set at .035, any finer than that I personally have found no advantage! Clear enough for you!

You sure do like to take tones. And on a side note, you never clarified anything in your first two posts so you should not be so self righteous about your skills with the English language. When you quote someone its regarded as a reply so you don't need to refer to disturbdchemist as 'the guy' when you're specifically discussing something he said.

But thank you for elaborating on your earlier position.

Nice! Thanks for the link. Better price than Amazon! What washers need to be replaced? I have skimmed through the Ugly Junk thread but didn't read ALL the pages. =)

Just need to add some washers to full the gaps on the sides where the thumb screws hold it down. Then replace the handle with a hex bolt so you can drive it with a drill.

I got a monster mill but if the Corona Mill can grind the grains fairly good. Not flour but kinda close. Then go for it. I believe there is a thread on Corona on here so search for it and read that

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

This thread is awesome. Don't worry about taking out the bolt and changing out the cotter pin like a lot of the thread talks about until you tighten the mill all the way down and mill some grain through, maybe opening it up a bit more. I have a corona style mill and love it for BIAB.

Just saying it's a good option though and it's what I use. There are plenty of other options though. Also yeah I've seen a kitchen scale at walmart for like $20 which is similar to what I have. I would second the mill and scale.

Good luck whatever way you go! :mug:

Back