New thermometer needed, which one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattywwilson

Reaction score
I had a digital that broke about a year ago so I've just been using the old floating standby. What are the best ones yall are using now?

What do you need it to do?

I use a Thermapen for yeast ranching (and cooking - a lot - where it truly shines) and as a reference standard to check the plethora of thermometers and probes around the house. But it really isn't suited for much more in the brewery due to the short stem and rather short built-in screen time-out.

For mashing I use the Thermoworks RT610B-24 which has the reach for my 20g MLT...

Cheers!

Thanks day_trippr...I only need it for the mash. Was wondering if the stem on the Thermapen was even long enough.

Thanks day_trippr...I only need it for the mash. Was wondering if the stem on the Thermapen was even long enough.

I use thermo pen in a rectangular cooler mash tun and love it! I saw a used one for sale in the "for sale" section i think out of Michigan.

Cheers guys. That Thermoworks definitely looks like it would do the job though. Is it fairly quick to register temps?

Get a Thermapen. Not only is it fast, but more importantly it's the most accurate. It can be used to calibrate other thermometers, or temp probes. It is the standard for home brewers, chefs, etc. They are expensive but you really can't go wrong with one of these. I have one and love it. I use it all the time not only for checking temps in yeast starters, heating up water for gelatin, hydro samples, but also in cooking and grilling.

John

Get a Thermapen. Not only is it fast, but more importantly it's the most accurate. It can be used to calibrate other thermometers, or temp probes. It is the standard for home brewers, chefs, etc. They are expensive but you really can't go wrong with one of these. I have one and love it. I use it all the time not only for checking temps in yeast starters, heating up water for gelatin, hydro samples, but also in cooking and grilling.

John

Thermapen is awesome but too expensive IMO. Lots of other great less expensive options.

Back