New Tarheel Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Nid_Hog

Reaction score
Hi Everybody!

I've been lurking here for a while so I thought it was time to check in. I got my first taste of home brewing almost twenty years ago in Chicago. Toward the end of 1994, a couple of my buddies and I just happened to find Chicago's Brew on Premises. We were all living in small apartments and it seemed like a great solution. For a couple of years, we were regulars. I got to the point where I was brewing enough to get myself through football season and all the parties we had at home (I was in school). Around 1998, the BoP went out of business, so I bought a basic home set up and continued to brew.

Then, in 2002, I moved to North Carolina. I brought my gear with me, but it ended up packed away in my garage. There it sat until the beginning of the summer. My older daughter just graduated from college and has been living at home. To keep herself busy between job interviews, she organized the garage. When she came across my brewing stuff, she pulled it out and cleaned it up. Somehow it seemed like a good time to start up again.

We made a couple of extract/specialty grain batches to get the hang of it again, then decided to spread out. This morning, I just bottled my first all-grain oatmeal stout and we're fermenting an English mild. We've got a bunch of small batches planned for the fall, and I have a carboy waiting for some cider. I'm working on a wish list for some new equipment too.

Anyway, I've learned a lot from digging through all the great posts archived here. I'm looking forward to joining in the discussion now.

Latest posts

Back