New Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noogle

Reaction score
Could anyone help me i'm about to make my 2nd batch of beer and i'm following a Recipe for a beer called Winky Dink Marzen. The receipe calls for dark-amber crystal malt and chocolate malt. It dosn't give anythign else. Coudl someone please tell me what is dark-amber crystal malt and chocolate malt. Looking in the Brewers bible i think i know what chocolate malt is but still want to make sure. Please help.

dark amber crystal malt would be a crystal (aka caramel) malt that is in the middle range of color. Color is measured on the Lovibond scale, and crystal malt comes in various shades from 10L (very light colored) to 100L (dark colored). You can probably find it even higher than 100 Lovibond.

These crystal grains will add some flavor, color, and residual sweetness to the beer, as the caramelized sugars in them do not ferment.

For an "amber" one I guess I'd soot for something around 60 Lovibond.

Chocolate malt is one of several roasted types of barley (there is black patent, roasted barley, black barley, chocolate, etc). It looks and smells a lot like coffee, and adds a very dark hue and roasted taste to a beer.

-walker

These are specialty grains that you would steep. The easiest way to do this is to crush the grains and put them in a grain bag. You put your water in the brewpot and just drop this bag in it. Turn on the heat and right before it starts to boil take it out. I usually run some water through it to get the sugars out. Very important to take the bag out before you boil. The wort could turn bitter if you boil them.

The dark-amber and the chocolate are types of grains.

To make a simple beer you'll need grains, malt, and hops.

The grains get cracked, usually in some kind of a grinding machine. Then you stick those grains in a teabag-like sack and let the sack soak in hot water (commonly 150-160F) for 30 minutes or so. You'd then remove the sack-o-grains and throw it away (or cook some bread with it or something).

Then continue to the next step.

Back