new recipe....gimme your 2 cents

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tandersen123

Reaction score
Been playin with makin my own amber ale with high abv this is what I have come up with any suggestions/ideas would be great before I make it.

LB OZ
8 0 Light/Pale Malt Extract Syrup
3 0 Light Dry Malt Extract
0 8 Dextrin (CaraPils) Malt
0 8 Crystal 80L 33
0 4 Roasted Barley

use time oz variety
boil 60 mins 1.0 Columbus
boil 30 mins 1.0 Perle
boil 5 mins 0.5 Centennial

Yeast

American Ale

Hydro

Roasted barley gives a distinct roasty taste, and the beer will be pretty dark. It looks like more of an American brown than an amber with a roasty flavor. With no flavor hops, and only .5 ounce of centennial at 5 minutes it won't have much hops flavor or aroma and with an OG of 1.090 or so, it wont' have enough bitterness with the perle and columbus for bittering. So, you've got a sort of sweet roasty non-hoppy beer there. That's good, if that's what you're looking for, as sort of a high alcohol sweet roasty finish.

Yea, I definitely agree with Yooper. She knows what she is talking about. I was thinking drop the crystal from level 80 to maybe a level 40. And then I would add some hops. According to BJCP, you are on the low end of bitterness for an amber, but your gravity is way off the charts.

http://www.brewsupplies.com/hops-gravity.htm

According to the chart, you are even higher then extra malty. I would up the hops by at least 5 IBU's. Probably up the centenial to an ounce, and up the columbus to 1.25 oz or so. And lastly, what yeast are you using? Unless you plan on using dry (US-05 or something similar), make sure you make a starter. That's definitely a high gravity beer. Just my thoughts. All in all, looks really good. Good luck.

It's too strong, I'd drop the DME. I would change the carapils to a light crystal malt, 10L or 20L. That will give it the underlying sweetness of the style. The crystal 80L will give it a good dose of the caramel flavors. I would use a whole pound of it. You could use an oz. or two of the roasted barley for color--not enough to add much flavor but it will dry out the finish a bit.

Amber ales are only about 10 or 12 SRM in color which makes them just a bit darker than Pale Ales. That looks more like a sweet porter recipe to me.

Are you looking for balanced hoppy/malty taste? I would use a recipe calculator like tastybrew or hopville and work on balancing to your tastes. Also they allow you to see what the style guidelines are for the type of beer you are looking to brew.

Back