New question, old keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benman

Reaction score
So I just bought some older cornies from kegconnection (Ben was great to work with) and I have a question about them. The issue I'm having is that that black rubber wants to come off on everything it touches. Is there a way to seal this stuff up, or is it just a product of older kegs that I have to live with?

That is common with older kegs. The black rubber starts to dry out and turns somewhat powdery. You can try to scrub it with an abrasive pad, and it should help a lot.

I scrubbed them with a green scotchbrite pad then used some armorall on them. The black seem to scuff less now.

Scrub the deteriorated outer layer off w/ oxyclean and a green scrubbie, then restore the newly exposed rubber by working in some vaseline. Let it sit overnight, and then wipe excess vaseline off with a dry rag.

Awesome thanks for the ideas. Looks like I have a project for this weekend :)

Also another weird thing is that the little poppet valves don't come out of the posts. It looks like they're riveted in place. Is this normal?

some do, some don't. Out of my 6 kegs, all of mine come out except for one (it's on a gas post I believe).

On that one, it looks like the "feet" of the poppet spread outward and "click" onto a ridge build on the inside of the post. It makes it a tiny bit more difficult to clean, but it's manageable.

Sometimes, they also just get stuck in place, and if you push down on the poppet with the post off the keg, it should pop out, assuming it's not locked in there

I let them soaked in oxyclean overnight and scrubbed the rubber by using scotch brite.

Then apply some Back to Black (I've got the info from other threads), and it seems working for now.

It doesn't leave any black mark during normal handling, but it will still leave some small amount of residue when the rubber is wet and bumped into rough surface.

Perhaps I need to put more Back to Black coating.

Hope it helps.

Back