New question and information needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xraptorx

Reaction score
I was thinking of buying a braueule or brewmeister from my home brew store to do electric full grain mash home brewing. However, I am completely new and only took one course and currently reading "how to brew".

I was listening to a podcast from the brewing network where Collin advised that a noob should ALWAYS start with extract to learn: cleaning, fermenting and boiling before spending 4 hours trying to make wort and introducing additional complexities into the learning process.

Extract may be fine and significantly faster and maybe just as good, but the equipment I was thinking about is made for grain. So I want some other opinions on starting for a noob. Is the general consensus that one should always start with extract to learn or can learning on all grain be just as ok and fast?

I do think it helps to do a few extract batches to get the hang of sanitization and proper fermentation, but it's not required.

I'm not very familiar with the system you're referring to, but you should be able to do extract batches in any relatively large pot. I did my first two batches using a pot that was about 10L. I then added water to reach my full volume; this is known as a partial boil. It's a good way to start that doesn't require any new equipment. You can always use what you currently have for a few batches and then step up to the all-grain system.

Any "system" that can do an all grain batch can do an extract batch.

And no, you don't "have" to start with extract, but it is probably a good idea. It assures that you start out with a quality wort that you really don't need to worry about. That lets you work on your process and get the kinks out before you start adding a bunch of extra variables.

Personally I would learn what I'm doing before dropping that kind of cash on equipment.

I too recommend doing an extract batch or two before going all grain. Heck, I just did my first partial mash last Sunday after 18 months of brewing. But, that was my choice. ;). Look, you don't yet know ALL the things you'll worry about on your first batch or two. Do an extract or two for personal proof that yeast makes beer and you can enjoy drinking it no matter how many mistakes you think you made. :)

Then, go AG if you want and worry about mash temps, efficiency, sparging, etc. Just my opinion. Either way, have fun! Cheers! :mug:

Back