New product - BeerBox

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trboyden

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Was poking around the AHA website and saw an ad for the BeerBox (http://www.brewingtools.com/) - anyone see this yet?

Of course that got the DIY juices flowing so I thought, "OK, that looks like a coffee dispenser, what's out there for coffee dispensers?"

So that thought got me to a product listing for insulated beverage dispensers over at Webstaurantstore.com (http://www.webstaurantstore.com/14057/insulated-cold-beverage-dispensers.html). Any thoughts/experience on using these to dispense beer at club meeting or event? They are NSF listed, are a cooler so they would keep beer cold, are stackable, and range in size from 1.5 Gallons to 11.75 Gallons.

The big name manufacturer is Cambro. Here is their spec sheet (http://www.webstaurantstore.com/documents/pdf/cambro_insulated_transport_guide.pdf). They make all kinds of accessories too including dollies to move the bigger units.

They say they hold temperature within a few degrees within a 4 hour span. So I am thinking how airtight these are and would a Peltier modification make sense on top of the insulating factor.

Thoughts?

:mug:

Never seen these but being a chef, I've used cambro products and they're great. Def hold temps

As I look at this more, I guess an obvious question is "Big deal, why not just use a Rubbermaid beverage cooler?"

I was making the assumption something like these two products sealed better than your average Rubbermaid cooler. Maybe I am wrong?

I was looking at this more from the perspective of "What would make a better jockey box?" Something that could be setup on a table and look presentable with branding, yet serving a vital function, serving beer. In my mind these would be nicer than a cooler with faucets.

Along those lines, I was thinking, OK, now what's available in stainless steel. So I came up with this but again the question is how well does it seal, and what would make this better/different than serving out of a keg, other than cost?

Honestly the cambro that I've used will hold temp better than that metal dispenser. I've held soups hot for up to 5 hrs in those things. The plastic is insulated greatly. I think the differences between these and kegs would be the weight and insulation. A lot more convenient that moving a keg around, they don't form condensation and they're gonna stay cold.

Honestly the cambro that I've used will hold temp better than that metal dispenser. I've held soups hot for up to 5 hrs in those things. The plastic is insulated greatly. I think the differences between these and kegs would be the weight and insulation. A lot more convenient that moving a keg around, they don't form condensation and they're gonna stay cold.

I'll have to pick one up and experiment! :)

Question is, what size? :D

I'll probably get the small one to test. Wish I could pick it up local, the monthly club meeting is tomorrow and would have been the perfect test run for it.

So I'm looking at the prices, and you are getting $100ish deep on just the container (5 gal version). Then you have buy the parts to rig CO2 in, beer out...can someone explain why this is a superior solution to...well just about any other container? Is this just about keeping the beer at temp?

Also, is it know if they are air-tight? That is about the only way you will be able to dispense with CO2

The site mentions filling with a keg.
Honestly, if you already have kegs, getting a trash can, bag of ice, picnic tap and CO2 charger is far less expensive.
I can also buy 5 used pin-locks for the starter kit price... or diy a jockey box... or buy a used kegerator off craigslist.

These seem like a well-intentioned concept, but in reality, they're not worth the money.

So I'm looking at the prices, and you are getting $100ish deep on just the container (5 gal version). Then you have buy the parts to rig CO2 in, beer out...can someone explain why this is a superior solution to...well just about any other container? Is this just about keeping the beer at temp?

Also, is it know if they are air-tight? That is about the only way you will be able to dispense with CO2

The Cambro was offered up as a DIY alternative to the non-insulated BeerBox (the first link in my post) which definitely is airtight and uses a CO2 charger and starts as a 5 gallon kit at $200.

Though based on the Cambro spec, it is airtight as well, featuring a cap to release pressure and steam. So in theory, you would just need to add a similar method to charge with CO2 as the BeerBox. Shouldn't be that hard to do.

I would say it fits the serving needs of 1 - 3 gallons of beer or an alternative to a jockey box which would cost $200 for just the stainless steel coils alone.

Back