New Poster! Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matman12

Reaction score
Hello, Everyone! I'm excited to have joined and look forward to learning more. For now i am an EXTREME newby to home brewing and honestly, i'm using a Brooklyn BrewHouse kit that my buddy and I started Sunday. We are having concerns something isn't right.

It was extremely difficult to maintain the required temperatures on my electric stove, but we completed the process and took the beer into my basement with a blow off tube for a couple of days. The bubbling subsided, however there is a ton of residue on the bottom and a dark looking bubbly foam at the top. I just started the airlock phase. My question is whether or not we have an issue, or if we have failed on this batch. I am attaching a picture for reference.

My first concern is that i didn't have a fine enough strainer causing the residue on the bottom, but the bubbles on the top concern me.

beer.jpg

That looks completely normal. The residue at the top is from the krausen formed during fermentation and the stuff on the bottom is the yeast and other particles that have settled out.

Just try to leave most of the stuff on the bottom in the jug when you bottle.

What Techy said, it looks good!! Rack into a bottling bucket in about 2 weeks if you aren't taking hydrometer readings (you don't need to, but as you progress you will want to, at least at into fermenter and at bottling times for an OG & FG). When you do rack (move) the beer into a bottling bucket, the key is to do with as little noise (splashing) as possible to avoid introducing air/oxygen into the beer- this will give you off flavors. So far so good, keep up the good work and welcome to the obsession, er, hobby! :D

Back