New pH meter - arrived w empty reservoir

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilBrewer

Reaction score
Hach Pocket Pro+ arrived today. It’s my third pH meter in about 5 years..the last two were crappy, and reasonably decent (in that order). Hoping this one does the trick—and based on what I’ve read, I think it will.

But here’s the thing...it arrived without any storage solution in the reservoir cap that covers the probe. There were drops of liquid present in the reservoir and on the tip itself so I’m wondering if they emptied it for shipping.

Is that normal or should I be concerned? I immediately rinsed with distilled water and filled the reservoir w storage solution.

A lot of meters say not to store them submerged, but with just a few drops in the cap to keep it from drying out. Does yours mention anything in the manual?

A lot of meters say not to store them submerged, but with just a few drops in the cap to keep it from drying out. Does yours mention anything in the manual?

What is this “manual” of which you speak?? Kidding, very good point. I have not gotten that far but the cap does have a fill line on it which results in the probe being completely submerged

Hach Pocket Pro+ arrived today. It’s my third pH meter in about 5 years..the last two were crappy, and reasonably decent (in that order). Hoping this one does the trick—and based on what I’ve read, I think it will.

But here’s the thing...it arrived without any storage solution in the reservoir cap that covers the probe. There were drops of liquid present in the reservoir and on the tip itself so I’m wondering if they emptied it for shipping.

Is that normal or should I be concerned? I immediately rinsed with distilled water and filled the reservoir w storage solution.
pretty sure the solution only matter once its actually been used and calibrated...

I actually contacted Hach support about this last winter and they said to place a couple/few drops of non-distilled/non-RO water in the cap and store the unit upright. Neither bulb nor junction should be kept wet, the moisture is there just to saturate the air...

Cheers!

I actually contacted Hach support about this last winter and they said to place a couple/few drops of non-distilled/non-RO water in the cap and store the unit upright. Neither bulb nor junction should be kept wet, the moisture is there just to saturate the air...

Cheers!

Very interesting—thank you for sharing that. That is exactly how I would describe it upon arrival today; moisture but no liquid in the cap. Curious if they said anything about storage solution when you talked to them?

That was a specific topic of discussion. I have a Hanna 98128 as well and it calls for a few drops of their storage solution so I had expected something similar for the Hach.

But, for the Pocket Pro+, they do not recommend the use of anything other than a few drops of tap water.
They (actually, she) specifically ruled out distilled or RO water as well...

Cheers!

According to Hach web published directions:

The pH models (including the Multi 1/2) and ORP models should be stored with a couple drops of tap water or deionized water in the cap to keep the bulb hydrated for short term storage (overnight/over the weekend). For long term storage for a week or longer, it would be recommeded to store the sensors in pH Electrode Storage Solution, 500 mL (Catalog number/Order code 2756549).

My Hanna 98128 either came dry, or dried out from sitting on a shelf for a year after i got it (i'm guessing the former since there was no crust in the cap). I could never get stable readings on it, even after months of soaking in the storage solution. Part of this may be their garbage calibration routine.

I ended up buying another meter (MW102) and it came wet with storage solution. It actually works.

Our new "semi-retired" lab assistant managed to break the tip of our pH probe so I replaced it with one I had as a back up, then bought another back up. $478.00 with shipping for just the probe, so hope he's more careful. NOTE: this is a lab Hach pH meter with platinum wire in the probe, and not as expensive as most of the portable.

Keep the tip in either storage solution or deionized water, and, honestly, I don't see any problem with distilled. Main thing is that pH probes don't work well if they have a chance to dry out.

Back