New omega labs yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydlaw

Reaction score
OYL-057: HotHead Ale -- An ale strain of Norwegian origin that has an astoundingly wide temperature range (62F-98F) with little difference in flavor profile across the whole range.* It has a unique fruitiness that makes it complementary to modern hop varieties.* Attenuation: 75-85%; Flocculation: medium-high; Temperature: 62F-98F.

Let me know if you try it. I might be daring on my next batch.

A lhbs not too far from me has it, I'll pick some up next week. I still haven't figured out a grain build for it yet though. I got a few days to figure it out though. With that temperature range, it might just end up being my go to yeast. We will see when I try it.

They sounded like good warm weather yeasts to me. Brew you first beer with it, & name it " The Omega Glory"! :D

I went to my lhbs and picked some hothead up. I'll brew today if I feel up to it after my dentist appointment.

I am making a saison with this and a blend of saison yeasts I have going tomorrow. I am planning on cranking it up to 95F after 24-36hrs of fermentation. I always taste the plain starter wort and ill see how much fruitiness I taste at room fermented 1.040 starter wort

My HotHead Ale arrives tomorrow. Snagged all the Bretts too!

Let me know how you plan to use the Brett Blend. Ive been using YB Amalgamation but I am considering combining it with theirs depending on how different they seem

Wow thats a very wide range in temp. im sure there is a sweet spot in there though. if its clean throughout the temp range it might be the ideal yeast for people with no temp control.

I haven't had a chance to use either yet due to moving, but may try to dig out some stuff and make a batch with Hothead tomorrow. I'm just going to let it ferment at ambient temps if I do, while logging it a couple of times each day.

Wow thats a very wide range in temp. im sure there is a sweet spot in there though. if its clean throughout the temp range it might be the ideal yeast for people with no temp control.

That's what I am hoping for. My basement stays in the 70's but I would prefer temperature to be an afterthought.

I'm an omega fan. We just did a group smash with different yeast but the same hop schedule and base malt on a saison beer at my brew club. The saisonstein's monster had a great flavor. It finished dry, had a great nose and did what you want beer to do! I've also brewed with the DIPA with nice results and bring on the funk is pretty cool too. That hothead may be the Norwegian farmhouse that was going around from white labs. Sudbuddy may have some 411

I brewed a few days ago and used hothead. Rapid fermentation within the first 48 hours, has talked of since which is expected. We will see in a few weeks.

Update, I am guessing that my basement got too cold for this yeast because it seemed to go dormant. I took a gravity reading and determined based on that, and there lack of activity. My basement is unfinished, and we did have a few cold days recently. I moved into a warmer room and after a couple of hours I seen activity. Although I don't know the exact temperature of my basement, I estimate it being right around 65 degrees, possibility less.

I brewed a few days ago and used hothead. Rapid fermentation within the first 48 hours, has talked of since which is expected. We will see in a few weeks.

What kind of beer did you use this on?

i don't like how they don't have any recommended styles to use it on like most yeast descriptions do.

i don't like how they don't have any recommended styles to use it on like most yeast descriptions do.

Well its a Norwegian "farmhouse yeast" and is capable of fermenting past 90F without fusels so I did what any sensible brewer would do....

Its pretty unique. Super fruity and also the "chunkiest" yeast ive ever encountered

I'm an omega fan. We just did a group smash with different yeast but the same hop schedule and base malt on a saison beer at my brew club. The saisonstein's monster had a great flavor. It finished dry, had a great nose and did what you want beer to do! I've also brewed with the DIPA with nice results and bring on the funk is pretty cool too. That hothead may be the Norwegian farmhouse that was going around from white labs. Sudbuddy may have some 411

It is related to it, but I dont think the same strain. Its a "kviek" yeast.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7126543

Interested in hearing results at high temps. always looking for new warm weather yeast :mug:
ill pick some up next trip to the states and let it go with no temp control at room temp 80F+

Interested in hearing results at high temps. always looking for new warm weather yeast :mug:
ill pick some up next trip to the states and let it go with no temp control at room temp 80F+

gee, that sounds like a cool experiment ;)

Tbh, I don't what category you'd put it in. I call it a honey malt ale. The grain build is as follows:
7# 2 row
5# Vienna
2# caramel crystal 60l
1# honey malt

i've been fermenting using OYL-057, and the attenuation seems to be on the low side. right around 75%. I have been fermenting since 10/17.

On a tasting note side, It is definitely has a unique fruitiness (tangy-ness). Good flavor,I believe that it would complement an IPA or hoppy style of beer, or a lighter grain build, better than my current grain build, but it is still in my fermenter so that may change once kegged and carbed.

sounds interesting for sure. id say 75% attenuation on the grain bill u posted is pretty decent. 2lbs of crystal and 1lb of honey malt.

i've been fermenting using OYL-057, and the attenuation seems to be on the low side. right around 75%. I have been fermenting since 10/17.

On a tasting note side, It is definitely has a unique fruitiness (tangy-ness). Good flavor,I believe that it would complement an IPA or hoppy style of beer, or a lighter grain build, better than my current grain build, but it is still in my fermenter so that may change once kegged and carbed.

Let me know how you plan to use the Brett Blend. Ive been using YB Amalgamation but I am considering combining it with theirs depending on how different they seem

To be honest this will be my first Brett beer, so I'm still trying to figure out how I'll use it. I should have something (recipe/process) ready within a week or so.

Let us know how it goes after you pour a pint. Still haven't had a chance to make anything with this yet.

I used the hothead in a saison and brought it into the 90s. It is a very peculiar yeast. More fruity than anything ive tasted (aside from all-brett beers) and it was the chunkiest yeast ive ever seen. Be sure to swirl the decanted starter up as much as possible or it will stick at the bottom

I used the hothead in a saison and brought it into the 90s. It is a very peculiar yeast. More fruity than anything ive tasted (aside from all-brett beers) and it was the chunkiest yeast ive ever seen. Be sure to swirl the decanted starter up as much as possible or it will stick at the bottom

I noticed that as well. I also needed to stir up the trub in the primary cause the yeast was falling below the trub

Can you describe the fruitiness? Banana, apricot, apple, citrus?

Gets much better with age, I enjoy it, and I have friends state that it's the best batch that I brewed yet.

Finally brewed with this! Kept it in the garage without any sort of temp control (I don't have any anyway), and a Maui winter is typically in the 70s. The beer taste great initially, pretty clean. I'll update when it's carbonated and ready to drink.

Back