new Northern Brewer catalog. megapot 1.2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am trying to decide between the 15g and 10g version. I typically do 6 gallon batches with 5.5g going into fermentor. I do like the option of 10-12 gallon batches, but wonder if there are drawback doing 6g batches in 15g kettle. I had two questions 1) I have the normal bayou classic sp10 burner http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20, is this enough to boil the bigger size batches. And 2) Am I going to loose a lot of wort to dead space when doing 6g batches. Just wanted to get an idea of what to expect if I go up in volume.

I have the 15g and do both 5 & 10 gallon batches. The burner is enough to boil the 12.5ish gallon for a 10 gallon batch. The dead space below the ball valve is about 1 gallon. I have been tipping the kettle to make up for it until I can get a proper draw tube.

Get the 15, I have no issues doing 5 gallon batches in the kettle and you'll have room for larger batches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a heads up that if you already own a thermometer or ball valve set up you can call Northern Brewer and order the Megapot with precut holes but without the parts. For the ten gallon model the ball valve only cut out is 162.99 and for both holes it is 166.99. Its cheaper to pay 149.99 and drill the holes yourself but then you need a step bit. I figured the precut holes were worth the premium.

I called to order today (Black Saturday) and they even included a free copper wort chiller.

Thanks for the tip! I just called and ordered a 15 gal

nighthawk311 said:
Just received my megapot 1.2 in the mail this week. Quality is really nice. Looking forward to using it soon. Will post back with a review after I brew next.
So are the markings machine etched or chemically etched? Thanks

Just a heads up that if you already own a thermometer or ball valve set up you can call Northern Brewer and order the Megapot with precut holes but without the parts. For the ten gallon model the ball valve only cut out is 162.99 and for both holes it is 166.99. Its cheaper to pay 149.99 and drill the holes yourself but then you need a step bit. I figured the precut holes were worth the premium.

I called to order today (Black Saturday) and they even included a free copper wort chiller.

Did you order ten gallon? It looks like you have to get at least 15 to get the chiller

Did you order ten gallon? It looks like you have to get at least 15 to get the chiller

I did indeed order the ten gallon. When I called I hadn't read the email in detail and simply asked them if I decided to order the pot right then if I would get the wort chiller. He said sure. My invoice include the wort chiller and a discount for the full price. It wasn't until later that I saw the details about the size pot.

The original question of "who makes them?", still not answered.
So those that have received these new pots don't have any markings on the boxes to indicate which Chinese company makes them? If they were made in USA, they would be boasting about it and I would even buy one at that price.
The old ones were Update International, shipped in a box that said "Update International"... new pots ship in a box labled what?

I'm looking to go to step up to 100 qt, maybe as soon as next week and thicker walls are attractive from a welding perspective. I don't want to weld on less than 1.2mm .
The lip of my 60 qt Update pot measures 1.37 to 1.45 mm , which might not be the same as the walls. Update claims they are 1.2, which is what the lid measures, which they say is 21 gauge, but 1.2 is equal to 18 gauge, same as a sanke.

The aluminum clad bottoms on these are a big benefit. It is possible to boil grain mashes with zero scorching if one were to stir continuously until a boil starts. After that, convection takes care of the stirring. Update claims 5mm aluminum plate, the "Mega 1.2" pots claim 4mm.

Simple measurement system for the 60 qt update pots. 15 inches tall, 15 gallons. Also prefer the wider pot for more surface area, have it in my mind evaporation is faster with wider pot if there is the heat to drive it off.

The box it comes in is rather plain with few markings. Simply indicates "Megapot 1.2" and the size and part #. That's it. no indication of where it was made.

I have an 8 gallon MegaPot 1.2, I bought it just to upgrade my sparge water kettle which used to be only 5G and I needed more. So I don't have any ball valve (I lift and dump the kettle into the mash tun), but it does it's job well. These pots are indeed heavy! Quite solid kettles. I don't know if I'm imagining it but it seems to heat faster than my last sparge kettle. About the only thing I wish is that the handles were a little bit lower, but that's for leverage since I lift and pour which isn't the most proper way to be doing things anyway. I also find the markers on the inside really come in quite handy. My main boil kettle is a 10G Blichmann and I couldn't be happier, but these 1.2's definitely are good pots and mine is doing it's job nicely... as simple as that job might be.

Rev.

My dad and brothers just gave me one of these as a Christmas gift. I'm psyched. I've been using my cheapo 5 gallon economy kettle for 2 years. Now I have a serious kettle that can handle full volume boils. Can't wait to put it to use.

Just got a 10 gal megapot 1.2 for Xmas from my wife! It's great but it somehow has 2-3 small dings/dents in it.. Not sure if it's from shipping or not.. Anyone else run into this? I plan to email northern brewers(their customer service is usually pretty good), but just curious if anyone has this issue?

Otherwise it looks like it's going to be an excellent brew kettle!

I just picked up a 10 gal (with fittings) from the St. Paul store. No dents on my copy.

Attached some pics of the graduations for those interested. I think it's some sort of chemical etching. There's no texture to it so I'm pretty sure it's not ink.

She's a sexy beast though. *Darkness shown for scale only :rockin:

DSC_2566.jpg

DSC_2558.jpg

DSC_2574.jpg

I got the 10 gal Megapot 1.2 for Xmas also and very excited to try it out! Need to go pickup some Yeast today so that I can brew tomorrow. Hope my BBQ grill burner will work to do the 5 gallon boil. Only problem right now Im trying to figure out the correct way to install the Ball Valve / Thermometer . My ball valve came with a large O ring and a small O ring, but the directions for the kettle have what looks to be 2 smaller o-rings. As for the Thermometer it came with one o-ring, a nut and a washer, but I can no seem to figure out what side the washer goes on and it does not say in the directions.

My father also ordered me a Stainless Steel Brew Bucket for xmas, but it wont be here until sometime in January. Going to wait to brew the Madus Touch clone in that as it should have the extra space (6.95 gallon) I need :)

http://www.kegoutlet.com/ss-brewbucket-the-brew-bucket-fermenter.html

I noticed on the user reviews for the ball valve on the NB site that if you follow the instructions you end up with broken o-rings. One reviewer suggested the following order for installing the ball valve: ball valve assembly, washer, kettle, o-ring, locknut. I did that and it worked for me. No leaks.

Sheet 2 of the brewmometer instructions tell you how to install it (under weldless brewmometer). The o-ring goes on the outside and the washer on the inside.

I noticed on the user reviews for the ball valve on the NB site that if you follow the instructions you end up with broken o-rings. One reviewer suggested the following order for installing the ball valve: ball valve assembly, washer, kettle, o-ring, locknut. I did that and it worked for me. No leaks.

Sheet 2 of the brewmometer instructions tell you how to install it (under weldless brewmometer). The o-ring goes on the outside and the washer on the inside.

will give that a try, I just dont see any way that it was gonna work without breaking something based off the paper directions. Will check out the NB site also as I've not looked at it yet. Was going to send them a email to find out what they suggested. hope to maybe try the kettle out in the next couple of days.

I'm looking to go to step up to 100 qt, maybe as soon as next week and thicker walls are attractive from a welding perspective. I don't want to weld on less than 1.2mm .

It might be thicker than some other pots but 200 series doesn't weld as nicely as 300. It is also more susceptible to stress cracking post welding.
Not an issue for someone who knows what they're doing but seeing some of the butcher jobs that people have paid good money for on a more forgiving SS I'd want to be damn sure the welder knows what he's doing.

I have a regular mega pot. Weld still holding. Welder must suck really bad if they mess up.

After being frustrated following the directions I installed my valve like digitally did. Valve, Washer, O-Ring, Kettle, O-Ring, Nut. Works perfect.

Just got the 15 gal and ordered a 3 piece ball valve separately. Now trying to decide how high to place it. I've never seen a false bottom in person and wonder if I might want to add one in the future...and if so...how much space it might need between the dip tube and pot floor? Its actually an elbow bulkhead from brew hardware. His site says to make sure there is 1/4 in clearance.

Just got a response from Bobby at brehardware w in a few hours. I get it now. I'd need to nix the elbow for a false bottom anyway.

Anyone using a 15gal for 5gal batches? Is it too big/tall for this?

I do BIAB in a 10gal pot and many times have little to no room to spare when mashing, thinking a 15 would give me ample breathing room - just not sure if it would be too much.

Anyone using a 15gal for 5gal batches? Is it too big/tall for this?

I do BIAB in a 10gal pot and many times have little to no room to spare when mashing, thinking a 15 would give me ample breathing room - just not sure if it would be too much.

I use my 15 for both 5/10 gallon AG batches with no isses. I fill to about 7 gallons before boil but it works fine for 5 gallon batches. I do recommend adding a picktube of some sort as now I can get down to about .5 gallons of dead space.

This is how mine is setup:
11893180553_769398f5af.jpg

I use my 15 for both 5/10 gallon AG batches with no isses. I fill to about 7 gallons before boil but it works fine for 5 gallon batches. I do recommend adding a picktube of some sort as now I can get down to about .5 gallons of dead space.

That looks great. I am expecting my 15gal 1.2 in the mail later this week and would love to add the pick up tube assembly you have there. Can you give some specifics on what you used to assemble that?

I'm about to pull the trigger on the 15 gallon. Where did you get that stainless siphon tube assembly?

It all came from stainlessbrewing.com.

It's a SS bore through compression fitting and a 135 degree tubing.

Thanks. Did the megapot come with that round coupling fitting with the inside threads too or did you purchase that separately as well? I'll assume everything there is 1/2 inch?

It came with the coupler and yes everything is 1/2inch. If you have a knock out punch or can get one I recommend getting the megapot without holes and buying the morebeer weld less fitting as it's better.

The pre-cut hole for the thermometer is actually 1/4 inch NPT. If you cut your own holes they make thermometers of either size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Home Brew mobile app

Just a heads up people, ALL the megapots now have 1mm side walls. I bought the 20 gallon (end of 2013) assuming it would be easier to weld my fittings with a 1.2mm side wall. I drilled the hole for a 2" tri-clover flange and was disappointed. Called NB and they confirmed the 1mm and apologized for the misleading website. Still a nice pot though. You just need to use backing gas on the weld and do short welds to prevent warping from heat.

One more note. The sides are not magnetic and the transition to magnetic happens about 1/2" from the bottom. I would suspect this is a welded seem but they claim to be deep drawn. Considering the tri-clad bottom there has to be a weld somewhere.

Is the 135 tube also 1/2" or 3/8"? I'm going to place an order for these parts at stainlessbrewing.com right now.

Is the 135 tube also 1/2" or 3/8"? I'm going to place an order for these parts at stainlessbrewing.com right now.

Thanks for the idea Cranyx. I just received my stuff from stainless brewing and I'm looking forward to trying the setup out. Looks like it will work great.

Where are the ball valve and thermometer at with the 10 gallon version? I'm looking to get one of these in the spring.

Back