New Minnesota Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redpenguin01

Reaction score
How's it going everyone?

I am a new homebrewer from Minnesota. I just got my first brew started two days ago of Autumn Amber Ale using a Midwest Supplies kit. I'm currently a biology major at the UofM. After working with yeast for a couple of years, I figured why not brew beer? ;)

I can't wait to try my first batch. :D
~RP

I am just getting into brewing as well. Looks like a lot of fun and sure tastes good. Skol Vikings!

Welcome to the forum and the hobby! Start thinking about batch number two soon. That first one will be gone before you know it and it's good to have another in the works.
:mug:

As a college student you should already have another brew fermenting.
You'll probably kick that batch after its finished in a night.

I actually have a gallon of apflewein going right now and an extra carboy laying around. I might start up a perry here in a couple days when I get some down time.

As soon as this batch is up for bottling, I'll probably get another brew going almost immediately. I've been thinking of doing a Nobel Trappist Ale, Liberty Creme Ale, or a Boundary Waters Wheat. Haven't finalized my decision yet. Just trying to think of types my friends will actually drink. :cross:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Any suggestions for my next batch would be appreciated. And.. some shots from the other night.
100_9648grains.jpg

100_9651malt.jpg

100_9653malt.jpg

100_9656malt2.jpg

100_9657hops.jpg

Cheers. :mug:

RP

Welcome to the club. From MN myself....Army relocated me to Colorado 5 years back. Went to college at St Olaf in a small town in Northfield. Thought about going to the UofM, but it was just toooooo big for me. I was born in Duluth, and the Bulldogs just won their first NCAA D1 Mens Hockey Championship!!! Boooyaaaa!!!

Welcome and enjoy the addiction, err, I mean hobby. As far as recipe suggestions go, with the warmer weather on the way (well, hopefully at least after the possibility of snow tomorrow), I'd go with the cream ale or the wheat.

Welcome! Most of inlaws are in MN. Let us know if we can help you get started.

How's it going everyone?

I am a new homebrewer from Minnesota. I just got my first brew started two days ago of Autumn Amber Ale using a Midwest Supplies kit. I'm currently a biology major at the UofM. After working with yeast for a couple of years, I figured why not brew beer? ;)

I can't wait to try my first batch. :D
~RP

Welcome to the club, it is a fun hobby!
I am a cities boy now up in the Duluth area.
Lucky for you I feel we have some od the best micro breweries, and suppliers in the country. Northern brewery I a great place to get kits, and pretty decent prices on gear. If you are looking for good micros Surley is awesome and the brewers are usually pretty willing to help with advice.

I'll have to look into Northern Brewery. I've had a couple friends mention it to me as well.

Just checked my specific gravity after 10 days in primary. It's sitting around 1.016. Expected to finish around 1.010-1.011. I hope it is safe to taste it while it is still fermenting because I tried it both warm and chilled. Definitely can taste the roasted flavors of the grains in this batch. Can't wait to try the finished product.

I am going to buy a new batch on Wednesday.. and get my friend set up with a kit from midwest (already got a convert ;)).

I'll have to look into Northern Brewery. I've had a couple friends mention it to me as well.

Just checked my specific gravity after 10 days in primary. It's sitting around 1.016. Expected to finish around 1.010-1.011. I hope it is safe to taste it while it is still fermenting because I tried it both warm and chilled. Definitely can taste the roasted flavors of the grains in this batch. Can't wait to try the finished product.

I am going to buy a new batch on Wednesday.. and get my friend set up with a kit from midwest (already got a convert ;)).

It will definitely be safe to taste...if I understand your definition of "safe" correctly. You might have a couple more points drop out here in a weeks time, but then again, maybe not. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back