New mill (good) pains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-Fib

Reaction score
So Uncle Sam (kind of) bought me my first mill. I have been using my LHBS's mill and my efficiency was anywhere from 55% to 72%. Average was 68% unless I used any type of wheat. My wheat recipes always ended up with horrible efficiency. I'm guessing cause the grain was small enough to fall through their gap without being crushed.

I did my first brew using my Cereal Killer with the factory setting. The crush looked drastically finer then my LHBS to the point I was sure I'd have a stuck sparge. As I was using 100% leftover grains, hops and yeast I figured I'd just go with it and see what happened. Well I got an efficiency of 86% and my red ale that was based off the 70% efficiency is now going to be an imperial red ale without enough hops to mask the alcohol. I was heavy in the crystals, about 10% of the grain bill, so there is hope it may be drinkable but its a free mutt brew that was more for data.

So for others that have had a similar issue with a huge jump in efficiency what have you done with all your old recipes? Do you alter all your grains by a percentage? If so is there an app or program where you can scale by efficiency?

I have a cereal killer. I used a gift card as a spacer for the gap and tighten it down when the card would move easily but tight. I always get around or a little above FG as the recipe was written . I downsize the grain bill sometimes if I want a lighter ABV

Back