Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What beer should I "christen" my keg with?

• Hefeweizen

• British Pale Ale

• Double Chocolate Stout

• Something else (post your suggestions!)

Results are only viewable after voting.

usdsk8er540

Reaction score
hey yall. im daniel and im a new member here. didnt see an introduction thread so i posted here. im not completely new to homebrewing, but fairly new to "real" homebrewing. i did the whole "mr. beer" thing for a while and realized that if i invested a little more money i could make much better (and more) beer. i have made one batch of homebrew since i went to the plastic bucket primary and plastic carboy secondary method and bottled it in party pigs. it was a double ipa and was quite stong (close to 7% abv) and my buddies loved it. now my fiancee (SWMBO) and i are buying a house and she has told me that the one-car garage is mine. my first thought was "brewery"! although i knew to keep her happy i should put in a clause that said she can park the car in the garage during the winter so she and my son dont have to freeze in the snow while she cleans off the car. my big chevy truck will have to shiver in the cold though, but its a good price to pay. so i got a kegging kit with one corney keg and a 5# co2 tank and regulator and got a propane burner to brew on instead of the electric stove. this will be my first time kegging so im sure there will be questions, but i will put them in the kegging section. im sure i will learn a lot here and i hope to talk to a lot of you soon. thanks!

A 7% IIPA is one damn fine start. Velkommen!

Would suggest whatever your favorite commercial brew might be (ix-nay on the Ud-bay...), check out the recipe forum and look what's available in that particular style. Just remember a few things:

1) Premium membership is always worth it (plus Tx deserves your money). There's more helpful info on here than any brew book available, and the folk are pretty damn decent.

2) Revvy is also deserving of your money. Hear the Revvy, feel the Revvy (though Mrs. Revvy might not approve), be the Revvy. He knows his ****. The mods are also demi-gods in the homebrew world. [/brown-nose]

3) If you're ever in a tight spot in the middle of a brew, there's almost 60,000 members on here. Help is practically available 24/7.

4) The extract vs. all-grain battle is all a matter of personal taste & what equipment you have/can afford. Starting off with extract is (in my opinion) better since the initial investment is less that what you'd spend on all-grain. Better to test the waters before diving face-first.

5) ???

6) Profit!

Cheers. :mug:

well the problem is that i dont really have a favorite style. im really open to a lot of different brews. i just get really tired of the same old junk you find at the local gas station. i like to observe the color and flavors of a brew, smell it and enjoy the hop aroma and try to detect the different ingredients. i guess you would say im a conniseur of some sorts. lol. so basically, i like everything except the normal bud light (although the bud light lime is okay) and other light pilsners and the like. i like to strive for more complexity and thats what i like about homebrewing. im able to try different things and really see more of the process and actually see what goes into my beer. i cant wait to get moved into the new house and start a new batch or two!

Brew whatever you like! I always have a hard time deciding even after brewing for many years. I would recommend a strong stout for winter, or even a Witbier (cause I like them!)

Or a standard Pal Ale is easy and tasty too. Dry hopped though...

Back