New member has questions. No-boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSH

Reaction score
I've done 9 gallons of various meads, and some beers. Every time I go about making a brew, my mind wanders and I find myself with questions I have no answer to. Here's one of them.

Is there such a thing as a no-boil method? If I dissolve sugar in water, add yeast nutrients... pitch 1 camden tablet per gallon and wait 24 hours before pitching yeast, is this win?

While some in this forum will be able to give much more detailed (and possibly contradictory) opinions, I don't think you could really get by using the method you describe (although it will give you an alcoholic beverage). Typically you boil the wort to (amongst other things) isomerize the bittering hops. There are no-boil kits available in which all the boiling has been done for you already to get the extract concentrated. The (already isomerized) hops are included in the extract so you're ready to go. Here's an example of some I was thinking of trying:

http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/shopNBKwoode.asp

Now is probably the time where I will get educated by people with 3,000 posts saying "I never boil and my beer comes out great". That's what I love about this forum. So much to learn.

I've done 9 gallons of various meads, and some beers. Every time I go about making a brew, my mind wanders and I find myself with questions I have no answer to. Here's one of them.

Is there such a thing as a no-boil method? If I dissolve sugar in water, add yeast nutrients... pitch 1 camden tablet per gallon and wait 24 hours before pitching yeast, is this win?

You'd have an alcoholic drink that I don't think I'd care to consume. ;)

Back