New Mash Paddle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dionbill

Reaction score
Guys,

I'm am getting ready to brew my first all-grain this weekend and have been getting all my gear together and setup for the past few weeks. As part of this, I made a 36" mash paddle from walnut. Should this be coated with something? Block oil for example or just leave it as bare wood? Thanks.

Cheers :mug:

Dion

IMG_0965.jpg

Walnut? Leave it as bare wood. It is not an oily wood, it'll be fine as is. I made mine from maple and never treated it with anything. It is aging nicely. The walnut should look good after a couple of years.

i wouldn't put any oil on the paddle no matter what the wood is for fear of losing some head retention with the finished product.. since you aren't using it post-boil you won't have a chance of infection from it.. i put markings on the sides of mine as well so i can use it as a gauge in my boil kettle when collecting runoff to know when i have enough wort as well

I agree, don't treat the wood with anything.

Btw, that's a neat looking paddle. And a tall drink of water as well.
Doing a full barrel are we?

Cheers!

Thanks guys. I won't treat it. So when you're finished mashing Do you just hose it off and hang it to dry?

Yeah, it's a long paddle. I was unsure of how long I should make it so I went with 36", which is the length of the walnut paddle More Beer sells. I'm 6'6" so the extra length might save my back...

Cheers!

Great. Thanks for the advice!!!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I went with 36", which is the length of the walnut paddle More Beer sells. I'm 6'6" so the extra length might save my back...

Cheers!

Being the maker of the other paddle MoreBeer! sells (maple) I can tell you, you don't need or want any kind of finish on it. Just use it for mashing, and rinse it clean with water and dry. That's it:D

Nice work BTW:mug:

Back