New Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper31

Reaction score
Here is the Kolsch I plan to brew this week. Let me know what you think plus any suggestions would be great:

7 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 71.79 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 25.64 %
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.56 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 16.8 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.45 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.34 %
Bitterness: 22.3 IBU Calories: 240 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.5 SRM

7 Days in Primary
Crash Cool @ 35 for 10 Days
:mug:

If you have the patients, I would cold condition it for a longer period. I did one and I think I had in the fermenter for two weeks and then cold conditioned for 4 weeks. It was an extract beer, with white labs kolsch yeast. That beer won 1st prize for the light hybrid division at the county fair. Good luck

Kolsh typically doesn't have an aroma addition and little to no hop flavor, only mild bitternes. Shouldn't have anything other than pils and 10-20% wheat for a traditional Kolsh either, it is a very specific style, but I digress.
What are you plannning on for a mash temp? Low mid to high 140's?

I brewed a Kolsch with I think 4 oz. of Honey malt in it and Vienna instead of Wheat. It came out with more body than I wanted as I was looking for something more clean and lager like. I'm suspicious of the Honey malt. The Vienna may have contributed some to that, but I'm more suspicious of the Honey malt. I might be inclined to use only 1 lb of wheat and up the pilsner if you want a fairly light dry Kolsch. I was low on Pilsner malt of I would done that myself.

Ryan_PA said:
If you plan to brew this in the future how the heck do you know the measured OG and FG?

My brewing program estimates the OG FG of the beer. I plan on hitting about 1.052 on this. My efficiency still isn’t that good I seem to always be just a little off I have been around 70% the last few attempts.

I would strongly suggest you go wyeast kolsch over the white labs. a few threads I've read comparing the two, wyeast won in terms of producing a clean beer with no esters or off flavors.

malkore said:
I would strongly suggest you go wyeast kolsch over the white labs. a few threads I've read comparing the two, wyeast won in terms of producing a clean beer with no esters or off flavors.

I might try that I have never used wyest before. Also I am thinking of dropping the honey malt

Well it's been almost a year since the original post and this is the newst Kolsh recipe I can find. How did this one turn out? I'm going to give this one a go in a few hours, here's my planned recipe:

10# German Pilsner malt
1.5# German wheat malt
1# Vienna
8oz 10L

1oz Saaz 60 min
.25 oz Saaz 25 min
.25oz Saaz 1 min
.5 oz Saaz dry hop 10 days

I upped the pilsner and dropped the wheat; my LHBS gives a price break at ten pounds of grain so I'm pretty much getting a free pound by buying 10# instead of 9#. With the lower wheat content, I added the Vienna for a bit extra body and the 10L for some night light maltiness.
Looks like I have a couple extra pounds of grain here...but my bad efficiency should help make up for that :mug:

How's the hop schedule look for those with experence with Saaz? Cheers and thanks!

Here's my take on it.

The Vienna will impact the perceived maltiness more than the Crystal. Crystal contributes to body and caramel sweetness, not maltiness per se. Frankly, I think with that grist you're closer to an ale-primary Dortmunder or Munich Helles than a Koelsch, but it's your beer. My most successful Koelsch beers have been 100% Pils malt.

Saaz is a lovely hops variety, such that I wouldn't waste it for bittering. I'd opt for Northern Brewer or something. Your flavor/aroma additions look good to me.

Prost,

Bob

Thanks for the input! I think I'll swap the Vienna and 10L for Munich, and use Hallertauer or NB for bittering and keep the Saaz for late additions and dry hopping.

I'm off to see the LHBS, the wonderful LHBS of Hillsboro :/

Latest posts

Back