New kettle 15 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtp137

Reaction score
In the market for a new kettle after i took my aluminum kettle apart and noticed horrible brown rust where the brass fittings meet the pot, why did I ever use brass
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1455477159.903021.jpg

Should I spend the 300 bucks on a spike kettle or Ss kettle or buy a 25 gallon concord for 140 and all the fittings I would need a valve, site glass thinking the total after a drill the pot and spend the time in the garage the concord would be 120 less than the purchased pot I am thinking of purchasing the spike or SS tech what would you do

I can't see your picture, but are you sure it's rust and not the protective oxidized layer that forms when you boil for the first time? For years I (and a lot of other brewers) used an aluminum kettle with brass ball valve and never had that problem.

So, the answer to your question, "Should I spend 300 bucks....", depends on if you're looking for an excuse to go stainless, or are willing to use what you already have.

I can't see your picture, but are you sure it's rust and not the protective oxidized layer that forms when you boil for the first time? For years I (and a lot of other brewers) used an aluminum kettle with brass ball valve and never had that problem.

So, the answer to your question, "Should I spend 300 bucks....", depends on if you're looking for an excuse to go stainless, or are willing to use what you already have.

How do I clean it?

How do I clean it?
Ahh...now I can see your picture.

Any chance you didn't dry it well or left wort in it after brewing?

I'd use a Scotch Brite pad to bring it back to bare aluminum and then do a full boil with just water to get an oxide layer before using it. After that clean it with a soft rag or sponge and detergent after each use and dry it before storing. Be sure to not remove the dark coating by scrubbing too hard.

The brass fitting created a galvanic cell with the aluminum, which caused the corrosion. If the area surrounding the hole isn't too far gone you could replace the fitting with one made of stainless, which won't react with the aluminum.

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with a Concord. I have the 20 gallon and love it. Very robust construction, and the price is right.

The brass fitting created a galvanic cell with the aluminum .... you could replace the fitting with one made of stainless, which won't react with the aluminum.
Galvanic corrosion also happens with aluminum and stainless. Keep it clean and dry and it won't happen.

In the market for a new kettle after i took my aluminum kettle apart and noticed horrible brown rust where the brass fittings meet the pot, why did I ever use brass
View attachment 337587

Should I spend the 300 bucks on a spike kettle or Ss kettle or buy a 25 gallon concord for 140 and all the fittings I would need a valve, site glass thinking the total after a drill the pot and spend the time in the garage the concord would be 120 less than the purchased pot I am thinking of purchasing the spike or SS tech what would you do

In addition to some aluminum oxide corrosion perhaps, what I believe you may also be looking at is residue from worts of the past.

Even with the brass and aluminum, I really doubt there is any thing there that was harmful to you or your beer.

It's a boil kettle, wort buildup trapped by a bit of corrosion. Is not a deal breaker IMHO.

Clean it, use it and smile, or get a new kettle and smile. All good.

Congratulations, you've just done electrochemistry. That's why you should always use the same metals. As for the kettles, I have a spike V2 and it's gorgeous. The V3 looks even better and is on my future purchases list.

You live in Pittsburgh... Wasn't that the steel capital at one time when we made our own?...
I'm surprised your friends haven't strung you up for not using stainless steel already!:p

Personally I wouldnt want to drink anything made in there... But that just my opinion. aluminum and brass are not ideal metals to consume when it corrodes and breaks down in your beer in your case. Lead free brass still contains small amounts of lead and when its breaking down like in your case I dont see anything good coming from it.

Back