New kegs or new CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p40whk

Reaction score
My budget is right around $300 and I'm looking at getting into kegging since my batch size is going up to 15 gallons.

I'd like to keg 10 gallons and bottle 5 so that I can share my bottle with friends so I'm looking at a 2 keg system.

I've got a $200 gift certificate from Amazon and was planning on adding $100-$150 to that but that's limiting my choices to a system that either comes with new Kegs or without the kegs and with a CO2 cylinder.

The Kegco systems look to have the best options (at least on Amazon).

I'm just wondering if buying new corny kegs and or CO2 tanks is my best option since they are readily available on Craigslist?

I was looking at this system: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XG1NR6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=RNMGIA791229&coliid=I39XTRYZ189O8Z

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'd buy kegs and tanks used if you can...it's almost always a better deal and as long as they hold pressure...who cares what they look like.

Thanks guys, that's what I was hoping to hear. Going to tak another look at the systems available without the kegs and tanks and see what I can come up with.

Do most of you use an old refrigerator with a through the door tap or is there any advantage to using a hose end nozzle?

Thanks guys, that's what I was hoping to hear. Going to tak another look at the systems available without the kegs and tanks and see what I can come up with.

Do most of you use an old refrigerator with a through the door tap or is there any advantage to using a hose end nozzle?

I would avoid a picnic tap for something permanent. Picnic taps have a tendency to leak and you may end up with a fridge full of beer OUTSIDE of your keg.

I would avoid anything with "Kegco" printed on it............Personal experiences, YMMV.

Okay so I'm now looking at saving up a little extra $$ are there any specific brands you would recommend/stay away from and why? What about ColdTower or Taprite for regulators

As others have stated, used equipment will be just fine. I bought my keg equipment from Birdman Brewing with 2 used kegs, 2 picnic taps, taprite regulator and WYE splitter for a great price compared to others. If you hunt around on craigslist, you might score a good deal on co2 tanks, or purchase one from ezryder on this forum. I had a great transaction with him.

Just my $.02, but if you have a budget like yours I would invest in number of kegs and regulators before I would worry about a tap system. That can come later and give you time to plan how you want it set up. My picnic taps are just fine and later when I get the time and money, I will build a keezer. Plus, picnic taps are transportable if that is something you are interested in. I think my total came to right around $300 (maybe less) to get started.

As others have stated, used equipment will be just fine. I bought my keg equipment from Birdman Brewing with 2 used kegs, 2 picnic taps, taprite regulator and WYE splitter for a great price compared to others. If you hunt around on craigslist, you might score a good deal on co2 tanks, or purchase one from ezryder on this forum. I had a great transaction with him.

Just my $.02, but if you have a budget like yours I would invest in number of kegs and regulators before I would worry about a tap system. That can come later and give you time to plan how you want it set up. My picnic taps are just fine and later when I get the time and money, I will build a keezer. Plus, picnic taps are transportable if that is something you are interested in. I think my total came to right around $300 (maybe less) to get started.

Good advice but I'm trying to use a $200 Amazon gift card so buying everything used wouldn't allow me to do that.

With that said, I'll probably look into getting a higher quality regulator like these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0060NOX40/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=RNMGIA791229&coliid=I3ULNWST3IBGGG

or

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WDMGY9O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=RNMGIA791229&coliid=I35KMWM74TE1AK

but I can't seem to find any reviews on the ColdTower regulator. I'll buy the C02 tank and kegs separately used

I have 3 of the FastFermenters and one 15 gallon DIY conical so I'd like a regulator that will allow me to run different pressures for different beers. Not sure if the two I'm looking at here are adequate enough for that as I'm just starting my research and asking the questions.

I'm assuming something like this will allow me to carbonate one keg and use a second at the same time?

Oops, forgot about the gift card! If possible, you could find away to use the amazon card on groceries and use cash to buy your setup so you are not bound to Amazon offerings. Either way, good luck. I have found kegs to be a solid upgrade.

Just another thing to consider with the CO2 tank is that if your CO2 supplier swaps tanks (rather than filling yours) you will end up trading your shiny new tank for a used one immediately anyhow.

I'd like to keg 10 gallons and bottle 5 so that I can share my bottle with friends so I'm looking at a 2 keg system.

Once you are set up to keg, I find it much easier to bottle off the kegerator. Consistent carbonation and no yeast dregs in the bottle are a plus IMO. I was fortunate and had a source for 1/6 and 1/4 sanke kegs, while not as popular as corny kegs, those that use them prefer them...just an idea....

My keezer is in my basement, so appearance doesn't really matter to me. I started a few years ago with picnic taps and have never bothered upgrading. There are great deals occasionally on Craigslist, but you have to be patient. Co2 tanks, kegerators, and occasionally kegs. One option is to buy a cheap used kegerator that is not cooling, salvage the tank, reg, coupler and tap and install it in the fridge of your choice.

If you want draft beer this weekend, well then your gonna have to pay the freight....

As others have said, try to buy used kegs and a used co2 tank.

Use your gift card for a nice Taprite regulator (the best brand imo), keg connectors, and buy a box of 3/16" ID tubing. Don't go 1/4" tubing... you'll have nothing but foam issues.

Look into a Blichmann beer gun or a growler filler. You'll soon forget about the old way of bottling.

+1 on used kegs and used CO2 tank.

Man don't you hate gift cards? Pushes you in the wrong direction (retail). Ask for cash next time... :mug:

After quite a few years of building and using kegerators/keezers, I only use micromatic premium grade equipment. They look great, feel of extremely high quality, and I have never had an issue with them at all. Not to mention their customer service is top notch and their website has a plethora of knowledge and resources

$300 is going to limit your system and you probably will end up spending more upgrading. I would think holding off on some things would be your best option. I bought kegs 4 months before I bought anything else. Now I have everything else but tap handles. Picnic taps work fine.

Check around town on CO2. I think I paid something close to $200 for a full 20# tank. Most places just swap out so buying new doesn't make sense.

Right now use part of the gift card on the dual taprite. That leaves $200 for your budget. I'm guessing a couple used kegs and lines will basically eat that up. I'm a big fan of the ultra barrier silver beer hose.

This may be a thought too...I saw a 20lb co2 tank at a scrap metal yard when I was dumping some stuff there. It looked fine, so I asked how much they'd take for it...they gave it to me! I took it to the welding gas supply company that we do business with and he swapped it (and the appropriate amount of gas for the gas) so I have a nice 20Lber for something like $30...though I'm sure it's higher now.
I also vote for used kegs. You can find good deals on Craigslist if you're not rushing.

Or just get one from your local gas swap place, put down the deposit on one of their cylinders.

most of the local home brew shops will sell you a new swappable aluminum 5lb tank which is so much easier to handle than cast and they will just swap out every time you need a new one, the cost is usually around $65 and used kegs have gone up because of supply and demand so there only $20 cheaper than new but I still buy used at around $50 to $65, "the real cost" is the extras like fittings, hoses and regulators, a good regulator will run you $50 easy, good luck in your new adventure it will be rewording to say the least

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Plan on picking up regulator and fittings from Amazon with the gift card and sleuthing out tanks and kegs.

Other than wrenches, hoses etc. are there other things I should look at finding? What's the best way to keep everything clean?

Before you decide on new vs used co2 tank, research your local economy for sources of co2. The nearest outlet in MY area only does cylinder exchanges. That means if I had bought a shiny new tank, I would then hand it over to the local shop in exchange for a cruddy used one. So i went to the local shop and bought a cruddy old one from them.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Plan on picking up regulator and fittings from Amazon with the gift card and sleuthing out tanks and kegs.

Other than wrenches, hoses etc. are there other things I should look at finding? What's the best way to keep everything clean?

Beer line cleaner (BLC). Faucet brush. Extra o-rings and gaskets. I also have a keg line cleaning system that works well. Small pressurized container I fill with blc, then pump through the system.

Kegs can be had for cheap on ebay. I started dabbling in sankes bc I was finding them for <50$. A quick D coupler conversion and boom, works perfectly in my kegerator.

You should get the dual taprite from amazon that you linked to. That is a good price and uses up a good chunk of gift card. Plus it is a high quality item that you won't be replacing any time soon. I have the older version of that that I love it. It is super consistent and works perfectly for years and years. I have one regulator going to a 6-way manifold in my kegerator and the other going to a 3-way, soon to be 6-way, manifold in my cold conditioning chamber. I have cold storage for 11 kegs and they can call stay on co2 if I want. I usually have 5 in the kegerator and 3-6 in cold storage.

You can find decent deals on ball lock fittings and such on amazon. Also good deals on manifolds. I prefer this style: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NNLLE26/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Back