New keggle smells?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilddanz71

Reaction score
Just made my first keggle, I cut the top off so it was flush with the outside edge, but I had to grind it alot to get it smooth
Now it smells like grinded metal even after I washed it out real good I used TSP then b-Brite then I boiled 6 gallons of water to try it out. Still smells! I have it soaking in b-Brite full to the top, I want to use it on Saturday is there any way to make sure it won't ruin my beer?
Thanks guys!

Wilddanz71, did the BKF do the trick for you? I just got a new Penrose Kettle and there is a little bit of that burnt/ground metal smell to it - which I expected.

Was going to hit it with some BKF tonight, but if something better works, I'd be interested in knowing!

When my keggle was first made, the dude who made it drilled holes in the cut out lid and plumbed it for a false bottom for mashing. It was neat, but I had the same burnt metal smell. I didn't do what you guys were trying to do, and the oatmeal chocolate stout I made had a metallic flavor that darn near ruined the beer for me.

However, since that one batch, I have had no problems with metal smells or off-flavors. I'm guessing that boiling something with the same pH as wort might do the trick for you guys.

Man, that sucks that your oatmeal chocolate stout took the bullet though... I have to do a boiloff test before I brew anyway, so hopefully that plus cleaning will do the trick!

Bkf got rid of the metal smell in mine. I also let it sit full of star San for a couple days after the bkf treatment.

I didn't even think about the weird smell making its way into my beer. I was pretty new to brewing at the time. Seems such a "duh" thing to me now.

BKF took care of mine too. Either that or the hour long boil to test evaporation rate... or both. Smells nice and BKFy now!

Back