New(?) idea for chilling in summer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckredbeard

Reaction score
I have an idea for a water chiller. Only a few minutes of thought so far, but I think it could be something.

I've got a 50L euro sanke keg complete and intact. I propose to fill it about 1/2 with water then freeze it, then maybe the day before brewing top it up with water and refrigerate it. On brew day, instead of having water go straight to my CFC, have it go into the gas in of the keg coupler, pushing cold water out of the beer out line. That water would then go to my CFC.

I compel thee to opine!

Sounds like a good plan if you've got all that equipment. Sort of a more high tech version of using a pre-chiller in an ice bucket to cool the water down for one's immersion [or counterflow] chiller.

I used to do something similar to get my lager wort way down only it was a corney keg, ice cubes and an immersion chiller. I have since picked up a cheap pond pump and go the recirculated ice water route.

Back