New hop grower seeking advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan123

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm in over my head. I decided to impulsively plant some hop rhizomes along a fence I have and I'm positive I've planted too many varieties in one spot.

Anyhow, I've got 5 varieties along this fence here and it is becoming obvious that I will need to build a trellis very soon.

I'm hoping someone here could offer me advice on where to go with this. The fence is facing east.

I've got room on the other side of the fence if I wanted to grow them laterally/perpendicular to the fence on a trellis. The fence is facing west, but as you can see I don't have a ton of room on that side.

I don't really have the means to build 20-30 feet upwards, unless there's a way to latch some thin poles to the top of the fence that would be stable.

I've included a link to a photo of the fence and I would be appreciative of any advice I could get on what to do here. I've got a lot of extra scrap wood and bailing twine available if I needed.

http://imgur.com/n8F5JBF

Thank you anyone/everyone.

Most commercial trellis max at 18 foot. You could construct a trellis in front of the fence. As a homegrower I only went to 9 foot or so. Yields won't be nearly as good but that's all the higher I wanted.

Maybe look into a short trellis? I'm thinking you could install post holders onto the fence so you could add a few feet. And then easily take it down after the growing season.

What varieties? All of them may not grow well anyway. You can always replace or move varieties as needed.

X2. I'd jus put a 16' pole on the back side of the fence every 24' or so with a 2 or 3' davit to run a main cable. Hang your trellis twine from the cable and you should be good. I typically space my plants about 6' and buried a 4x enclosure to prevent root creep

If you have access to some wooded areas you could cut some tall straight growing trees and lash them to the fence posts. Here's a pic from back in '92-93?

Experimental farm hops.jpeg

Back