New Hoosier Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcbrown

Reaction score
Greetings!

Just got my beginners kit from Midwest Supplies and can't wait to brew up my first batch of Irish Red Ale.

Any tips or tricks from the more experienced members out there. I'm super stoked to begin!

Thanks in advance and cheers!

Welcome to the forum. I am in Indiana as well. You will find all the information you need right here. As far as advice....well there is a ton of it on this forum. Feel free to use the search feature or ask questions. The guys and gals on this forum are more than willing to help you out. There are so many areas I could discuss about advice that I wouldn't know where to start.

Read the instructions that came with your kit and then get clarification on any area you don't understand. Good Luck.

BTW...where in Indiana are you?

Thanks...I've been lurking around the site for sometime and there is a lot of info!

Lafayette, you?

Greenwood (just south of Indy). You can add your location to your profile if you want. Look to the left of this post and you will see my location listed.

mcbrown said:
Thanks...I've been lurking around the site for sometime and there is a lot of info!

Lafayette, you?

Mc brown, welcome. I'm in Lafayette as well. You will thoroughly enjoy the hobby

Welcome fellow Hoosier.

As far as first batch advice, sanitation is key. Make sure your fermenter is clean and sanitary.

Also, most central Indiana water is not the best for brewing, hit up one of those grocery store reverse osmosis dispensers for a couple of bucks to get good pure water.

Finally, it has been a hot summer. Do your best to keep your fermentation temps below 70 degrees and you will be rewarded. (search swamp chiller)

Welcome to the hobby and the forum!
Advice?
Plan your day
Take your time
If you are unsure of something-Ask BEFORE you get started and it's too late
Clean and sanitize EVERYTHING! Star San is your friend, if the kit came with one step note that it is more of a cleaner and NOT a sanitizer
Aerate your wort well
Try and keep your fermentation temperature in the mid 60's-search swamp cooler-cheap and easy and effective
Have a great time!

Back