New Guy - NE Florida

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhatheadWRX

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been reading up on homebrewing for a little while in the Papazian book.

I got a Mr. Beer (toy homebrew) from a friend for dirt cheap, 2 Gal for $4 cost is not bad. Too bad his dry yeast was nonactive after 20+ hours. I just added some White Labs Cali Ale yeast and hopefully can get a somewhat decent beer out of this toy.

I really want to get into true brewing (even if just malt extracts) and hopefully have found my self a number of used carboys (two 6.5, two 5 and a 6 Gal) to get me really cranking, maybe too much equipment to start.

Here are a few Qs for the patrons of the site...

Other than these carboys, will I just need bottling supplies (bucket, bottles, siphon), cleaning supplies, funnel, and a hydrometer (carboys have thermometers)?
How necessary are stainless pots to boil wort?
How do you guys feel about PET bottles? I think ease and reuse would be nice.
Before I found the deal on these carboys, I was looking at a 6 Gal Better-Bottle with spigot. Any thoughts on these? Can you bottle directly from it?

Also one more thing I am not completely clear about... when doing in bottle carbonation, is it better to add a priming sugar solution to the bottle bucket then bottle, or add priming sugar to each bottle individually?

Can't wait to really get into this stuff. I've read a lot, but have a LOT to learn (only learning equipment and strategy now, no real beer ingredients).

First off, Welcome to the land of the beer.

PhatheadWRX said:
Other than these carboys, will I just need bottling supplies (bucket, bottles, siphon), cleaning supplies, funnel, and a hydrometer (carboys have thermometers)?

Besides a boiling pot and a way to cool your beer down yes. Oh and you will need some airlocks.

PhatheadWRX said:
How necessary are stainless pots to boil wort?

You can use aluminum or enamel coated steel for a brew pot too. SS is just a very durable pot and thats why many people use them.

PhatheadWRX said:
How do you guys feel about PET bottles? I think ease and reuse would be nice.

Yes, PET bottles are alright to use. Make sure that they are PET though, it has to have the number 1 in the recycling symbol to be PET.

PhatheadWRX said:
Before I found the deal on these carboys, I was looking at a 6 Gal Better-Bottle with spigot. Any thoughts on these? Can you bottle directly from it?

Better Bottles are made out of PET, see answer above. I hear that the racking arm is quite nice to use. No you shouldn't bottle directly from this, see answer below.

PhatheadWRX said:
Also one more thing I am not completely clear about... when doing in bottle carbonation, is it better to add a priming sugar solution to the bottle bucket then bottle, or add priming sugar to each bottle individually?

Boil some priming suger in some water and put it in your bottling bucket, rack beer on into the bucket. Make sure that your beer is well mixed, but do not airrate your beer(aka don't splash it around). This will get you a more consistant mix.

Welcome aboard again, hope that soon you will be teaching me things.:mug:

After thinking some more about this carboy deal I am wondering if I am better off just going with the LHBS kit that includes a bucket primary and get a better-bottle secondary.

Easier to pour, handle, and clean than a glass carboy just need to be careful about scratches. Also I can sanitize everything in the primary bucket at the beginning.

Also will take up less room since space is limited. I have no idea where I would store 5 carboys. But the carboy price can't be beat and it would allow me to have two batches at the same time.

Also the only post I have now are Calphon One non stick, are those bad to boil in?

Anyone know anywhere online to get 500ml amber PET plastic bottles and tops cheap?

Welcome here,
I'm primarily a novice wine maker, but appreciate a good home brewed beer.
looking forward to your posts!

Copper

Back