New guy looking for an equipment check.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The yeast will stop when all the fementable sugars are gone - you're probably there if not close. But leaving it alone at least another week gives the yeast time to clean up some of the by products of fermentation that can lead to off flavors and also settle out and clear. Don't worry yet, 6 days is really too early to judge a beer.

I'm ready to bottle. Is it okay to add 1/2 gal of water to the beer first?

Are you trying to increase your volume or reduce alcohol content? If the water is sterile you can technically do so but Im not sure why you would want to. I wouldn't add any more water than you absolutely need to for your priming sugar, as doing so will change the flavor of your beer.

Yikes! I had forgotten the priming sugar part! I'm boiling the water for it now.

Yes I would like to reduce the alcohol and stretch the quantity. I don't like the beer too beery either, though since I don't know how this one will taste, that is not a good reason.

OK, beer is in the bottling pail. It has some crumbs in it, I guess I should use a screen bag around the faucet to strain in into the bottles.

Yikes! I had forgotten the priming sugar part! I'm boiling the water for it now.

Yes I would like to reduce the alcohol and stretch the quantity. I don't like the beer too beery either, though since I don't know how this one will taste, that is not a good reason.

OK, beer is in the bottling pail. It has some crumbs in it, I guess I should use a screen bag around the faucet to strain in into the bottles.

You could, but most of that should stay at the bottom, unless it is an unreasonable amount. If it makes it into the bottle, it will still settle at the bottom. Not a big deal unless it is a lot.

You could, but most of that should stay at the bottom, unless it is an unreasonable amount. If it makes it into the bottle, it will still settle at the bottom. Not a big deal unless it is a lot.

I think the crumbs are hops pieces. I will be more careful next time.

I ended up with 45.5 twelve ounce bottles. The clear ones are on the cloudy side. And I found out twist off bottles leak under my hand capper. Learning as I go!

Cleaning up, got to figure how to get the foam residue off the upper part of the carboy and then just wait two weeks. mmmmm

To clean your carboy use some homemade pbw (70% oxyclean, 30% tsp 90) you find discussions on this forum.

Throw a couple of scoops in and fill with warm water. Let it soak overnight and all crud will be gone.

Oxyclean soak is good for removing labels from your bottles too.

I tried that PBW, six teaspoons and hot tap water and man, you could see the foam on the carboy getting dissolved as the water covered it. A few shakes and there was barely any left. I filled to the top. Left overnight as recommended and Voila - clean as new.

Great group here, helping me through my first brew.

putts

Back