new guy in town

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohn1895

Reaction score
hello yall
I'm john I'm new in the whole home brew arena to tell the truth I just recently found out I like beer always thought all beer was like the mass produced
stuff I drank in my younger years but quite recently I was introduced to Guinness that opened my eyes so I went on a year long adventure trying all the different beers I could get now I know I like all the stouts the lighter ipas porters brown ales just keep the light beers and buds away they kept me away form this world of good beer for far too long :mug:

well look at that I forgot to tell you all where I'm sitting (northern Michigan) what I do (professional chainsaw carver) what I have brewed a few gallons of hard cider and
cream of three crops no extracted brews for me jumped in all grain from the start after reading this forum for a few months I jumped in both feet "Geronimo" as it were

Welcome! Whereabouts in N. Mich are you? Good on ya for starting out with AG brewing. It's really not too hard, especially now that BIAB is getting more popular and people discover they don't need any fancy equipment. :mug:

West branch area I didn't use the biab method figured that the closer to the brewerys methods I can get the better the end product will be thanks for the welcomes

West branch area I didn't use the biab method figured that the closer to the brewerys methods I can get the better the end product will be thanks for the welcomes

Nothing wrong with any of the mashing/sparging methods. They all do the same thing in the end, it's just the method of handling the equipment that is different. BIAB has some definite advantages for a lot of people. I still prefer my cooler mash tun, but I do BIAB sometimes it makes sense for me.

And last night I mashed a KBS clone in my mash tun. Just fit.

And it was so thick I couldn't lauter it correctly. I managed to get enough out to fit the sparge water, which helped some, but I ended up draining half through a BIAB just to get it done.

Debating on whether or not to just do BIAB on Sunday when I brew up the other batch...

Welcome Big John from NY! This forum is my most visited site on a daily basis! The people are are all friendly and willing to offer advice for us newbies!

hello yall
I'm john I'm new in the whole home brew arena to tell the truth I just recently found out I like beer always thought all beer was like the mass produced
stuff I drank in my younger years but quite recently I was introduced to Guinness that opened my eyes so I went on a year long adventure trying all the different beers I could get now I know I like all the stouts the lighter ipas porters brown ales just keep the light beers and buds away they kept me away form this world of good beer for far too long :mug:

well look at that I forgot to tell you all where I'm sitting (northern Michigan) what I do (professional chainsaw carver) what I have brewed a few gallons of hard cider and
cream of three crops no extracted brews for me jumped in all grain from the start after reading this forum for a few months I jumped in both feet "Geronimo" as it were

DAMN I would say you jumped in both feet..NICE John good for you!

Keep us posted on the progress.

Chainsaw carver you say? Hmmmmm Thats flippen KILLER!

NO BEER BEFORE WORK THOUGH..LOL

Cheers
Jay

Professional chainsaw carver? My kids loved watching the chainsaw carver at the Houston Rodeo last year. And I was amazed as I sat there drinking my beer!

Welcome

Not saying any thing bad about the biab method just don't make sense to me tried my first beer tonight it's been in the bottle for a week so it's kinda flat just wanted to see how it's working out seemed watered down hopping it grows up into a desent brew

Back