New guy in MA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smackythefrog

Reaction score
So a week or so ago I was home and online and had a few too many beers. I was thinking to myself "damn, I like beer. I should make it myself." Lo and behold I google home brewing and stumble across all sorts of websites. I don't remember too much after that but the next morning I found a print out of an invoice from northern brewer for a start up home brewing kit and a couple of extract kits. A week goes by and I lurk around on this site to find out what I've gotten myself into and I find a lot of terrific information (Thanks everyone, by the way). The UPS guy finally comes knocking on my door and delivers all my loot right before I have to go to work. Long story made shorter, I'm up cooling wort at 3 in the morning and a bear is chasing me through the woods, umm no, wrong story. Now my first batch of cream ale is in the primary fermenting away and already I can't wait to get it into a secondary to start another batch. Hopefully at some point I can be as helpful to others just starting out as this forum has been to me. I need another beer.

Pretty good initial post on the forums! I'm impressed. It includes almost all of the 'Generally Accepted as Normal' HBT topics... Drunken internet browsing leading to irrational purchases, passing out unaware of what mayhem you may have been involved in, daydreams of beastiality while brewing...

If only you had posted naked pictures of Gnomie you would have hit for the cycle. (And as always when attempting to hit for the cycle, it was bagging the lousy single that did you in. Naked pics of Gnomie are a dime a dozen.)

Keep up the good work and Welcome from Stoughton.

PTN

Im originally from danvers and just started browsing these forums too.

What part of MA are you from?

I live in Shirley, which is about 30 minutes or so outside of Boston directly on route 2. About the only people that know of this town have relatives or friends in the prison.

And of course, thanks all for the local welcome!

I live in Shirley, which is about 30 minutes or so outside of Boston directly on route 2. About the only people that know of this town have relatives or friends in the prison.

hahahah thats soooo true

Welcome from Norton and welcome to the obsession!

I would be careful though... it sounds like you're already on a steep downward spiral into a brewing addiction. I can already see you in six months... sneaking little stainless steel purchases from McMaster Carr for your all-grain rig build... lurking on Craigslist, seeing if there are any cheap cornies or free fridges around... tuning out family members when they're talking to you as you daydream about conicals... Oh it starts out innocent enough... and then WHAMMO!!!!!!! Next thing you know you're webcasting group brew sessions for 60 gallon barrel brews with your "internet friends".

I've seen it a million times...

its sad really....

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm glad your not from out west. My boss is a "dlamb," I'd hate to think he'd come on here and see how many posts I have between 8:00AM and 5:00PM!

Welcome from North Andover. This is a great place to learn.

I didn't know they allowed people to brew beer in prison:mug:

As stated above, welcome to the site, and the addiction - from Weymouth.

I didn't know they allowed people to brew beer in prison:mug:

As stated above, welcome to the site, and the addiction - from Weymouth.

You would be amazed at what they brew and drink in prison. I think calling it beer would be a huge insult though. It's fun when you can tell someone has a batch going as soon as you walk onto the block.

As far as addiction, well I've had a batch fermenting in my primary for three days, waiting to transfer it so I can start another, and I've already set money aside and made plans to get three more carboys on Wednesday. Oh and I'm more than a little pissed that my LHBS has really crappy hours. Those things should really be open 24/7.

You would be amazed at what they brew and drink in prison. I think calling it beer would be a huge insult though. It's fun when you can tell someone has a batch going as soon as you walk onto the block.

A number of years ago when I needed some extra $$ I worked part-time at Cedar Junction and Old Colony. (Cedar Junction sounds so much nicer than Walpole.) I walked in one night and smelled that smell. Somethings fermenting. I told the CO in the HSU and they went looking (sniffing) and found some con had himself a little brew going in his cell. I admit I felt a little sorry for the con, not only didn't he get to drink his brew, he bought himself a vacation in the DDI. (The prison inside of prison, where they send you when you really piss them off.) I don't miss that job one bit, it was a tough way to make a few extra bucks.

PTN

Back