New Glarus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bford

Reaction score
Just had a friend bring me several different beers from them.....

Two Women
Totally Naked
Moon Man
Wisconsin Bock
Spotted Cow

Man.. I ranged from really liking to loving these beers.... very simple but all delicious.

Anyway... I wish it was possible to get these in Texas. I'll just have to get my friend to have his inlaws bring some down in the fall when they visit.

I've had the Wisconsin Belgian Red at a bottle share before.. also very tasty.

Now I want to try their Oktoberfest.... and basically everything else they put out!

I need one of their big Oktoberfest mugs..ha... and some of the Oktoberfest.

I really enjoy that Wisconsin Bock.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to try any of their sours. I've wanted to.

If no one has had it, their apple ale and their coffee stout are amazing. Also their thumbprint iipa is also excellent!

We visited the New Glarus Brewery a couple of weeks ago and were impressed. They had a "self-guided" tour that was fun and a really nice facility. We stocked up on samples from their beer shop while there. My only regret was that I only picked up a single 12-oz bottle of their Scream IIPA. It was excellent!

NG1.jpg

NG2.jpg

New Glarus is fan-freakin-tastic. Their everyday offerings are outstanding, and they do the "Thumbprint Series" where they do special stuff, like a Wild Sour Ale, a double IPA, Dubbels, Tripels, Berliner Weisse, etc.

They just released their seasonal Black Top black IPA, which is excellent.

I don't want to make you jealous but I live about 40 minutes from there and go there often. I am planning to take the harley out there today if anyone wants to meet me there.

I don't want to make you jealous but I live about 40 minutes from there and go there often. I am planning to take the harley out there today if anyone wants to meet me there.

40 minutes? That's quite the hike. I'm 5 miles away:)

Sportsmans (bar on the main drag) in town has the best prices. Also they had some of the older thumbprints like the dubbel in their cooler for $2.50 a bottle out the door.

And Moon Man is pretty much a session IPA at around 5% ABV, which was a real surprise to me because it's so flavorful. I think it's far better than the seasonal session IPAs from Lagunitas, Founders, etc.

And Moon Man is pretty much a session IPA at around 5% ABV, which was a real surprise to me because it's so flavorful. I think it's far better than the seasonal session IPAs from Lagunitas, Founders, etc.

Moon Man is my favorite from their regular lineup.

And.. yes.... I'm jealous of anyone that can buy this beer regularly, much less hit the brewery easily.

Moon Man is my favorite from their regular lineup.

And.. yes.... I'm jealous of anyone that can buy this beer regularly, much less hit the brewery easily.

They might not get to visit the brewery, but the handsome people of Wisconsin can usually get Moon Man at the local gas station or grocery store. Just sayin. :ban::drunk:

And it's usually a buck or so cheaper than all the other craft stuff on the shelves - probably because they're not shipping it too far.

I must be the only person that didnt care for Moon Man. There just wasnt anything there.
I do love their Spotted Cow, Cran-Bic, and the sours I have had from them.

I must be the only person that didnt care for Moon Man. There just wasnt anything there.

Old bottle perhaps? I had a moon man last night and it was in your face hop aroma and taste.

anyone have a chance to taste their Imperial Weizen. i was trying to get a four pack, but would have only been able to get a case via favorite bar. cost would have been $55. bartender didn't order. she knew i wouldn't care to pay that much without having a taste beforehand.

Their Fat Squirrel was my go to beer until they made it seasonal. This year it seems to lack something...
I'm with MNSmitty, Moon Man doesn't do much for me.
My ALL TIME favorite from them was a seasonal, or special called "Smoke on the Porter"

Everyone is different.... I just had my last one tonight.. and it was so good... IMO of course. :mug:

Everyone is different.... I just had my last one tonight.. and it was so good... IMO of course. :mug:

Yep. Thats why they make so many beers! Something for everyone.
Everything else I've had from them has been great. :mug:

I might need to make a trip to WI this coming holiday weekend to restock....

My wife and I did the self tour a couple of weeks ago for our anniversary. I really enjoyed the sours, and liked the scream. We went down to the bottle shop and bought a couple of cases of beer. Somehow I walked out without any Scream, and didn't realize it until we got home.... :mad:

The Bad News: I live SEVENTEEN MILES south of the Wisconsin/Illinois state line, and cannot buy any New Glarus beer in any store/convenience mart near me. The Good News: I live only SEVENTEEN MILES south of the Wisconsin/Illinois state line, and can buy many of New Glarus' brews at grocery stores/convenience stores in Walworth, WI! And a summer motorcycle trip to the brewery is always on the calendar.

glenn514:mug:

I've tried a lot of their straight style beers and they are fine, but I do go out of my way for their sour beers. Belgian Red, Strawberry Rhubarb, Raspberry Tart, Serendipity.

the Serendipity I liked. I just tried the strawberry rhubarb, and thought it was pretty awful. to me it was like drinking a glass of smuckers strawberry jelly...very sweet and artificial tasting. guess I'll just have to stick to homebrew strawberry-rhubarb berr from now on :mug:

Recipe: Black Top
Brewer: Jon
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.50 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 33.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 84.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.6 %
1 lbs Midnight Wheat (550.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.7 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 7.7 %
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 33.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 5 14.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 6 15.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 8.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 6.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 3.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 3.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 21.60 qt of water at 165.9 F 155.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 4.66 gal water at 180.0 F
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------NorCal Ale #1 GY001

Recipe: Black Top
Brewer: Jon
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.50 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 33.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 84.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.6 %
1 lbs Midnight Wheat (550.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.7 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 7.7 %
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 33.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 5 14.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 6 15.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 8.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 6.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 3.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 3.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 21.60 qt of water at 165.9 F 155.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 4.66 gal water at 180.0 F
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------NorCal Ale #1 GY001

Can I ask how you came up with this recipe? Is this something you had info for or is it just an adaptation of something else... looks familiar.

well i hhave a lot of cascades and I need to use them so this is what I came up with the 40 min addition was an accident and worked out great. the yeast was something I never used before.

the Serendipity I liked. I just tried the strawberry rhubarb, and thought it was pretty awful. to me it was like drinking a glass of smuckers strawberry jelly...very sweet and artificial tasting. guess I'll just have to stick to homebrew strawberry-rhubarb berr from now on :mug:

Man, you must just have no tastebuds for sour, I get a sour caramel strawberry punch in the mouth. We always keep a bottle in the fridge for safety purposes ( you never know when you need a bottle).

Moon man was the first IPA I liked, and black top was the first hoppy beer I liked. Seriously I don't dislike anything from NG.:fro:

Latest posts

Back