New flexible lautering system in US: LauterHelix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattmill

Made in Germany
Reaction score
Hi,
let me show you my new innovative lautering system MattMill LauterHelix!
It is a special made, totally flexible stainless steel wire spiral, which can be laid in any form in your mash tun or heated kettle (!) for lautering after mashing.
Totally easy to use and easy to clean. Keeps a lifetime. Foodgrade. Made in germany.
Its available in US since some weeks at AustinHomebrew. In Europe it is a highly recommended standart for lautering all grain mashes from 20- up to 160-200L.
Its my own invention and I am proud on it.
What you need is a hole on side of your mash tun or kettle, appr. dia 22mm.
What do you think?
PS: sorry for my german sounding english!

MattMill Läuterhexe.JPG

Das ist sehr cool!

I don't mind the German accent. As soon as you said you were from Germany I automatically applied the proper accent in my head. In fact, I wish you used MORE German dialect! LOL!

One thing I think about, as I look at this, is the amount of deadspace. A false bottom might have a little less deadspace if it were installed close to the bottom. I can see how this would flow better when compared to a false bottom or even a drilled or slotted manifold, but siphoning/draining would stop as soon as the wort reaches the top of the coil. (Or maybe if it were tipped it would flow some more.

Since the diameter of the coil is known, and the diameter of the average 10 gallon drink cooler is also known, you could determine the consistent amount of deadspace. Do you know what it is?

Hi,
OK, I understand what you mean with deadspace.
In this system it depends from the lowest point of the hole at the side of your bucket.
As long the wort surface in the lauter mash is higher than this point, it will continue to flow over this point. According the fact, that the wort at the end of lautering is quite thin, anyway, you don't loose so much extract.
If you want to take out and drain everything completely, you could tip the bucket, anyway.
You'd be amazed, how fast the wort runs totally clear.
It works really great. (without any cheat software :) )

Back