New Equipment for brew day tomorrow. Please chime in.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilotCline

Reaction score
So I am scaling up my operation. I have recently acquired a 20 gallon Boilermaker, Blichmann burner with leg extensions, and a Therminator. I spent tonight giving everything a good initial clean. Tomorrow I will do a full boil 5 gallon extract caribou slobber. I will fill my kettle with a drinking water hose hooked up to a carbon filter to get rid of the chlorine. I am not to worried about the boil as that is familiar territory. I have built a hop spider to keep most of the hops out of the kettle. I will be using gravity to pull down to the Therminator. My first question is, do I need to sanitize the hot side hose from the kettle to the plate chiller? I figure no, but since it is not getting boiling wort through it I was not sure. I will sanitize the cold side vinyl hose for the fermenter. I am using my old 25 ft immersion chiller as a pre-chiller. I will toss it in a homer bucket full of ice water to chill my warm ground water before going into the therminator. Eventually I will end up doing 10 gallon all grain batches, but I had two 5 gallon kits still and had enough of the new equipment that I wanted to try it all out. Any last minute advise? This will be my first out door brew. All the rest were 3 gallon boils on the kitchen stove.:mug:

I'd sanitize the hose - but that's just me.

I brew outside. The main issue is wind. I have to hang a wind block sometimes. I've been forced inside the garage twice due to rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I wouldn't worry too much if you choose to not sanitize the hot side hose, but I would do it just for piec of mind. It sounds like you're all set. Enjoy the new gear - you're getting fancy

So I am scaling up my operation. I have recently acquired a 20 gallon Boilermaker, Blichmann burner with leg extensions, and a Therminator. I spent tonight giving everything a good initial clean. Tomorrow I will do a full boil 5 gallon extract caribou slobber. I will fill my kettle with a drinking water hose hooked up to a carbon filter to get rid of the chlorine. I am not to worried about the boil as that is familiar territory. I have built a hop spider to keep most of the hops out of the kettle. I will be using gravity to pull down to the Therminator. My first question is, do I need to sanitize the hot side hose from the kettle to the plate chiller? I figure no, but since it is not getting boiling wort through it I was not sure. I will sanitize the cold side vinyl hose for the fermenter. I am using my old 25 ft immersion chiller as a pre-chiller. I will toss it in a homer bucket full of ice water to chill my warm ground water before going into the therminator. Eventually I will end up doing 10 gallon all grain batches, but I had two 5 gallon kits still and had enough of the new equipment that I wanted to try it all out. Any last minute advise? This will be my first out door brew. All the rest were 3 gallon boils on the kitchen stove.:mug:

I agree on sanitizing all your hoses. Better to play it safe. You say you're using a vinyl hose on the cold side. I hope your hot side hose is high temp silicone.
Last, you can recirculate your water into the pre- chiller bucket and save a lot of wasted water. It takes a little practice to get your flow rate balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes, I have a high temp silicon hose for the hot side. I also bought a 32 gallon trash can to collect waste water. I will use that for watering all of the plants in the yard instead of using the hose.

The first rush of boiling wort will sanitize that hot side hose quicker and more thoroughly than a sanitizer you buy. I wouldn't bother.

Smooth sailing so far, almost at the hot break.

20140427_182302.jpg

Those old kits will have old yeast and old hops. If they are years old you should replace them at a minimum.

Yes, I have a high temp silicon hose for the hot side. I also bought a 32 gallon trash can to collect waste water. I will use that for watering all of the plants in the yard instead of using the hose.

I made the mistake of using the hot water straight out of an immersion cooler to water some grass. I killed the grass due to the heat. So let it cool overnight.

Not old kits, just had them still during the transition to big boy toys. The yeast was bought today. Overall it went well. A few leaks in the carbon filter and hose ends of the therminator, but nothing major. Was amazed at how well whirlpool in works. Hop spider took care of a lot. The whirlpool left a good nugget in the center.

20140427_220821.jpg

Back