New England IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petela

Reaction score
Recipe: NE IPA
Brewer: Dan
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.72 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 3.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 56.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.9 %
2 lbs Oats, Malted (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 17.0 %
4.0 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.1 %
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.40 %] - Boil 60. Hop 4 34.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Motueka [6.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 8.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Pacifica [4.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 5.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Motueka [6.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 4.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Pacifica [4.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 3.0 IBUs
2.50 oz Motueka [6.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
2.50 oz Pacifica [4.30 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) [124. Yeast 11 -
3.00 oz Motueka [6.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Pacifica [4.30 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 12.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 4.37 gal of water at 161.8 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 4.46 gal water at 168.0 F

Whatcha Think!?

Looks good. I'd mash a bit lower and add some sugar, but thats just me. Rest is solid

actually, looking at the specific hops now, you could definitely up the flameout additions since neither of those is really a potent IPA geared hop. Itll be flavorful and everything, but might seem more of a fruity pale ale since they arent too pungent compared to stuff like simcoe and citra

how long you doing your steeping?

I was considering that. I'd have 1/2 an ounce of each of those hops left the way the recipe is now. Mine as well use em up.

Probably steep the flameout addictions for about 20 minutes before chilling

Whatcha Think!?

I think it's going to be interesting. I did an IPA using Rakau and Wakatu a few months back and it came out underpowered. For some of these lighter flavored Southern Hemisphere hops, go wild on the late / flameout / dry additions. You'll be happy you did.. otherwise you'll be sitting on a case of duds like me.

Looks good. I'd mash a bit lower and add some sugar, but thats just me. Rest is solid

Why add sugar? More alcohol with less malt backbone?

I just use sugar in any IPA I do, aside from session ones. Its not necessarily just adding alcohol, but if you sub 5-10% in for your base malt, it gets you more of a crisp dry finish which makes it more drinkable IME. These IPA tips from Mitch Steele (Stone) and Vinneu Cilurzo (Russian River) are pretty focused around getting a dry body for your IPAs.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/5-tips-for-better-ipas-from-vinnie-cilurzo/
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/5-tips-on-brewing-ipas-from-mitch-steele/

The thought that it will make it thin and watery has never been the case IME. I'll go up to 10% sugar to DIPAs and its fine. I usually use flaked adjuncts too though. I tried my latest all-brett IPA last night in which I used 7% sugar. The brett took it down to 1.000 and yet it has a body and flavor that reminds me of ice cream sherbet. Completely the opposite of what people would think from the dry FG and sugar addition. Its largely dependant on the yeast strain too, and for a NE style IPA, WY1318 definitely helps out with the body

Finally brewed and kegged this beer! Glad I went with that amount of hops. The aroma doesn't jump out of the glass though =/. Spicy/fruity. The body and cloudiness is just about prefect thanks to the malted oats and low floc yeast.

Latest posts

Back