New Dry Hefeweizen Yeast is Gross

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update - about a week in the keg. Same taste. Not happy. :(

I'm not going to dump this just yet. I'll give it some more time, but if it doesn't improve, it'll be yard fertilizer.

I'm beginning to think this isn't the same as the liquid Weihenstephan yeast.

Thanks for reminding me to update. I brewed a very simple heffe with Fermentis T-58. Carbed and ready now, and everyone who has tried it says "right-on" I am pleased with the T-58.

-J

miatawnt2b said:
Thanks for reminding me to update. I brewed a very simple heffe with Fermentis T-58. Carbed and ready now, and everyone who has tried it says "right-on" I am pleased with the T-58.

-J
That's not a hefe yeast, though, is it?

From their website:

A speciality yeast selected for its estery somewhat peppery and spicy flavour development. Sedimentation: medium. Final gravity: high.
Also recommended for bottle-conditioning of beers. Excellent performance in beers with alcohol contents of up to 8.5% v/v but can ferment up to 11.5% v/v.

It's not a true heffe yeast, no, but I have read several homebrewers who had used it and were pleased with the results, so I decided to give it a go.
-J

Last update. I got rid of my beer. I was prepared to dump it, but Deathweed said he'd give it a shot first so I gave it to him. I'll never use this yeast again.

Back