*** New Coopers buckets released

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
I started with Coopers bucket and now have 2 of them + 2 glass carboys. They are very comfortable and versatile and cannot be purchased at any HBS (only directly from Coopers). As an existing customer (bought one brand new and bought 2nd one locally as a CL steal) I receive email notifications from them. They sent one out about free Coopers sanitizer with $50 purchase. Just for ****s & giggles I clicked on it. When I was browsing the website I found that they are using new buckets for their starter kit. The ones I have are 23L and new style is 30L and looks completely different.

new:

coopers-micro-brewery-kit.jpg

old:

coopers-3.jpg

I've got the older one myself. I bought the micro brew kit,with bottles & all. A member gave about half his PET bottles,so I now have about 45 25oz'rs. Over & above the piles of boxed up 12oz'rs I have as well.
Anyway,the older one has graduations up to 25L with head space above that. It looks like a total somewhere around 40L full. So the new one seems bigger,but it just makes better use of the it's volume by not having that shoulder & smaller lid at the top. Craigtube shows that one as well as makebeer.net,where I get cooper's stuff I can't find elsewhere.
Not to mention,it's been out in AU for a month or two now. Here for a couple weeks anyway. We always gotta wait...

Want to just buy the bucket, looked to see if there was a price just for it but looks like need to buy the whole kit for $115. Good starter kit for somebody.

I use the older one also but I'm intrigued by the newer design. I believe it has a different spigot and comes with a plastic hydrometer.

I use mine as a primary and also batch prime all in the same fermenter. Only thing I'm not too crazy about is that the stick on thermometer they give you is in Celcius only and the markings are in Liters. Its super easy to convert but I'd prefer to have both scales.

Yeah,many of us hate the fact that you can't buy an extra FV alone. Had to buy a couple ale pales for my wife & a bottling one. I like the glass hydrometer better. But the new spigot is nice in that it pushes in to lock,& comes apart for cleaning.

I have the older one and the newer one. Doing my first batch in the newer one tomorrow. Interesting design as it doesn't use an airlock, a krausen collar (or so they call it) replaces it I guess. We'll see how it goes. Totally different from the original.

Looks neat, like to know if it is easier to use or more complicated by it's design. Also how the spigot works. Good luck!

I have the older one as well and really love it, even though I use it as a primary and don't use the spigot much. I've got it set up right now to receive a kit that's mashing in the oven. I'm using harvested yeast and yeast nutrients for the first time, so I wanted to make sure I had that extra head space that the coopers fermenting bucket has. Plus it's clear so I'll be able to see if it's going to blow off. I hope.

The spigot is a two piece design and fits tightly into the fermentor. There no longer is the little piece on the inside that's supposed to keep any large items from traveling through the spigot. Probably a good idea as my spigot on the old one is clogged with my current brew :(

The thing that keeps the chunks out of the spigot is just a Round piece of plastic with a slotted protrusion on the back about the diameter of a pencil. I think a piece of fine mesh screen inside it would help more.
But I like the way the new spigot comes apart to clean it easier.

Back