New construction Sink Rough-in question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackheart

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in the process of having a new house built and one of the options was to have a sink rough-in installed in the garage. Their will be a drain, hot, and cold water lines run into the garage and capped off ready to have a sump sink installed.

My question for your guys is what is the best thing to do with this hookup? Is their a specific sump sink that would be better than others for brewing (cleaning up) or any attachments or accessories I should consider now before grabbing the first sink I find at the home improvement store?

I'm planning on building out the garage into a work area with an electric brew system in the future so a sink for cleaning paint brushes or kegs etc would be great.

I don't think there is anything special you need; I've seen set up where there is a pump box that sits under a utility/laundry sink and pumps things up to the drain stack; I wouldn't think you'd need anything more than that.

I have an electric brewery in my garage...my advice is make sure you nut a sink that large enough to hold the pots you end up using when you build out the electric set up...include the valves in that. Second thing is get q floor drain of at all possible

I'd recommend stainless. I purchased a single bay never used one on Craigslist for $100. If I were to do it again I'd get a 3 bay so I could have cleaner in one sanitizer in one and one still open for a sink. But the hookup to the house is the same, one hot, one cold and a drain.

I did a similar installation in my home brewery space. I used a 24" by 36" mop basin and elevated it on a wooden base so that it wouldn't be too low to work at. The base is about 18" tall and with the height of the mop basin sides, its not too tall to get kettles and fermenters easily in and out of. The elevated base also made it a cinch to hook up the drain.

I also installed a standard shower faucet with the discharge up high like a shower. I then attached a 5' washing machine supply line to that outlet along with a spray nozzle. So the finished installation works like one of those industrial kitchen spray nozzles. I glued plastic shower laminate to the walls around the basin so that splashing wasn't a problem.

It works very well.

Back