New CO2 Regulator leaking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29thfloor

Reaction score
I just got my first keg and I'm trying to figure out how to use the regulator with the CO2 tank. I'm pretty sure I have everything connected correctly but when I open the tank it seems like gas is coming out everywhere (like from where the gauge connects to the top of the regulator which I'm assuming isn't supposed to happen).

Is it possible I just got one that has some leaks or am I doing something wrong? I've tried adjusting the front screw every possible way (all the way out, all the way in, half way, etc) and I either get hissing and gas coming out everywhere or the gauge maxes out and it starts making a weird noise like there's a pressure relief valve opening and closing really fast.

Not good for a new device.
However, have you checked to see that you have teflon tape wrapped at each juncture? If not, that's your leak.
Also, if you have a spray bottle of Starsan available it can help identify the leak.
Leaky connections are expensive!!

fwiw, regulators are often "Lefty tighty/Righty Loosy", so make sure you didn't have the regulator cranked way the heck up, which can cause all kinds of havoc...

Cheers!

Turns out I'm an idiot and the regulator just wasn't tightened all the way on the tank. Got my first keg carbing now. Thanks for the help.

Ok, so as a tribute to you two, every time someone claims their regulator is leaking, I'm going to ask if they actually tightened the coupling nut to the tank ;)

Cheers!

Back